Recommendations for water fountains?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Jquesnel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Recommendations for water fountains?

Postby Jquesnel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:54 pm

Haven't been able to find any posts specifically on fountains, mostly just see enclosure posts with fountains in the pictures so I thought I would start a new thread.

I have a juvenile Meruake BTS in a 75 gallon enclosure. I'm in humid south Florida so humidity isn't much of a problem but I'm still thinking of upgrading my water dish to a flowing fountain. The one I found that was the most visually appealing to me apparently has really horrible reviews averaging under 2 stars on the websites I found. It is the National Geographic tropical fountain. So I guess I will avoid that brand and settle for something a little less attractive and more functional. Anyone have any recommendations for a high quality decorative fountain. My boyfriend has a (zoomed?) skull fountain in our baby Brazilian rainbow boa's enclosure and no leaks so far, though we've only had it a couple days so that's not really much to go on. I have a zoo med fogger for my ball python and definitely adding one for the boa as well, so it might be an alternative. Any opinions on fogger vs mister vs water feature for a Merauke BTS? Top tank in the pic is the BTS, bottom tank is the boa. Thanks!

Also, what is ideal humidity for a merauke? It fluctuates in my tank a lot but I haven't seen it drop below 50% (Florida humidity is usually minimum 50% year round but generally closer to 70-90% most of the year outside, but lower indoors.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Recommendations for water fountains?

Postby kayla990 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 am

We've got a fountain for ours (Exo-Terra pebble wall, as we had it laying around), but I think waterfountains are not commonly used because Bluey's are so strong - most commercial products are at risk of being knocked over! We used a dremel to wedge it really tightly between the background, so it's near impossible to move (for now, maybe that'll change as an adult..). I wouldn't rely on just a waterfountain for humidity here, but difficult to say how it'd be for a humid place like you're already living in :D

We'll also be trying a DiY version, basically huge water rocks (not pebbles, as they may try to eat them!) in a large water dish, with a small water pump at the base. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the method we used for our gecko (using hydroballs, mesh and pebbles) for the risk of getting under the mesh, since they are so strong - hence only using very large rocks wedged securely.

Jquesnel wrote:Any opinions on fogger vs mister vs water feature for a Merauke BTS?

We swap between the three xD long term, it seems that a large pressured spray bottle (for the garden) lasts the longest through the day, as the other options seem to only soak the surface. If we're out, we'll keep the water feature going - and remotely activate the mister/sprayer for around 20-30 seconds every hour or two.

But we have to be quite on top of it since we've got a Halmahera. Since you're living in a humid place (and generally meraukes need 60-80% humidity, but higher spikes should be fine), it may not be needed to go as extreme as we do! But maybe it can give some ideas with it
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”