Schedule

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
KeyBlu422
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Schedule

Postby KeyBlu422 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:19 am

Hi, I originally tried asking this question on beardeddragon.org but not with much luck. Kingofnobby told me his baby and adult schedule but didn't mention his feeding schedule for juveniles. So, I'm wondering how many times a day to feed a blue tongue skink at his/her baby, juvenile, and adult stage. I'm aware of the percentages of meat to vegetable ratio and how many days to feed skinks throughout their life. Also, I have a five year old beardy so, if I do feed a baby or juvenile skink multiple times a day, how often would I give calcium and multivitamin, I don't remember what I did for my baby beardy since it was so long ago that he was a baby/juvenile. Thanks. By the way, I don't have a. Skink yet which is why I'm asking this question to prepare. I plan on getting a northern BTS from the upcoming reptile expo or a breeder like Jeff Greene who is close to me.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Schedule

Postby kayla990 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:47 am

I can only speak from experience of a juvenile so far, as we got our just under 2 months old (and is now is around 4 months old). While I'm sure there will be other methods around, we've been feeding daily (chopping food into very small pieces, using the recommended ratio from this site, sometimes a little higher protein for growth) and alternating between using calcium powders. So for example, one day we'll use calcium +D3, the following day no calcium (but tend to use a mixture using a full diet, such as Bluey Buffet or Repashy which already contain some calcium), then pure calcium (powdered cuttlefish bone), a full day off calcium (so no full diet powders either), then repeat with the calcium +D3. As it's relatively frequent, we don't do huge amounts of calcium, and still use a UVA/UVB light.

We tend to use a multivitamin perhaps once every two weeks, since the diet is pretty varied (and the full-diet products already give some vitamins through the week). With regards to frequency, initially we would put the food in the tank in the morning, then let her graze through the day (as they'll often nibble some, walk around, then return to the food when little). If it gets a little dry, we tend to add in some water to mix it together again.

Though this is just one method :D I'm sure others do it differently! Our skink seems active and healthy, so it's working for us so far.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
KeyBlu422
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby KeyBlu422 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 pm

I'll probably use a spare UVB I got during a sale when I was gonna get them for my beardy but better safe than sorry, I'm gonna use the second UVB for my bluey when I get him/her(only 1 northern bts at the expo today, $800 female :( ). So, would I only feed them once a day? And also, would the percentage of protein to veggies be followed the same way as beardies? For example, my adult beardy is getting 80% veggies and 20% protein and is given salad everyday and protein twice a week(I know, I t doesn't actually equate to 20%, that's just what everybody claims it is). Would I give protein everyday along with the salad or a couple days a week I would give salad and protein and on the non protein days just salad? Lastly, when giving protein, would I do like the "give as much as it as it can eat in 10-15 minute rule" like you would with a baby or early/juvenile beardy? Oh boy, I feel like a new reptile owner again. :)
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:46 am

Aww, yup - Northerns come with a pretty hefty price (since they can't be exported anymore) - but close to 100% captive bred which is always nice :wink:

KeyBlu422 wrote:would the percentage of protein to veggies be followed the same way as beardies?

Nope, there is a different ratio for Blueys. In case you've not stumbled on it yet, have a peek at app.php/page/food-chart - good information overall.

So for a juvenile you'll want to do 50% protein (or if very tiny, can get away with 60-65%) per feeding. Once an adult, the protein is reduced to ~40% (so still higher compared to a Beardie even when an adult). In general, most owners feed the protein source, salad and fruit each time (fruit is in small amounts, around 10%). As far as I'm aware, for Bluey's most owners don't tend to do just salad days (but if anyone does, feel free to correct me!).

You can blend it all into one mix and freeze for convenience if you prefer. It can prevent them being picky with eating. We tend to use fresh salad/veggies then freeze just the meat sources into ice-cube trays (such as high quality cat food) - mainly so we can change it up what we offer more frequently. It works well freezing the meat especially when it's the type of 'wet-food'. It's working perfectly so far, as along with keeping it fresh it makes great daily portion sizes (and less wastage, for a tiny Bluey you can get so many portions from a single pouch/package!).

KeyBlu422 wrote: Lastly, when giving protein, would I do like the "give as much as it as it can eat in 10-15 minute rule" like you would with a baby or early/juvenile beardy?

We tend to leave it most of the day. Some may try to chomp down as much as possible in a time frame, but find ours 'grazes' through the day.. unless it's something very yummy! The above link gives a decent idea for the amount to give based on age ^__^

KeyBlu422 wrote: Oh boy, I feel like a new reptile owner again.

Haha don't we all! We've only had ours since November but love being a Bluey owner - still learning so much!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
KeyBlu422
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby KeyBlu422 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 pm

So, you would mix dog food/mealworms,superworms,other worms, etc with the salad? And you would only feed once a day since the bluey doesn't eat it all at once? If it does eat the salad and the bugs, as a baby or juvenile would I give it more protein or call it a day? Sorry about all these questions, just want to be prepared for the future

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”