Early MBD or shedding? Or climbing???

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
DomiDCurry
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Early MBD or shedding? Or climbing???

Postby DomiDCurry » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi, new poster, first time skink owner, but I’ve had her for about 4 years now.

Maybe it’s the recent travelling between countries and states my wild thing KW and I did for the past six months that resulted in my overlook of this possibly new development, but I just now realized she has this little indent in her spine? I don’t recall her ever having one. My parental guardian mode is kicking into overdrive and I’m assuming the worst.

Digging on the internet, it looks like it “might” be from her more frequent climbing ventures in her newer setup (if a BTS climbs a lot, they develop it? That sounds a little… BS to me?). It “might” be her skin tightening from shedding.

It might be that the super varied diet with calcium-rich greens I make for her once a week has not been high enough in calcium? Or not often enough? I used to give her a multivitamin, but a vet suggested I drop it for just a calcium supplement, minus d3. Ever since the appointment a few months ago, I’ve lost track of time and am just now researching calcium supplements (ugh, I’m an awful parent).

It’s hard to see in the pic, but it’s very noticeable to the touch. The small stream of light in the second photo defines that “indent” and reaches from her neck to her hips.
20180209_204456.jpg

20180209_202714.jpg

More info that might help: KW uses one of those Powersun UV (UVA/ UVB) lights. She is in the middle of shedding when I noticed this indent just now.

I’m hoping I’m just having a moment and that this may, in fact, be a typical shedding thing? (Or a climbing thing???)

(Bonus question, what BTS is she exactly??? The expo seller said Northern. I didn’t really think about differentiating for some reason until much later, when I realized she looked much more like an Indonesian. Then I stared at Meraukes and I’ve been clueless for a long time. Also, despite me handling her ALL of the time and her coming out to actively inspect and watch me, the moment I make ANY move to reach in to have her come out, she throws the LOUDEST hissy fit. EVERY. TIME. Then calms down when she’s out. What a sass dragon… not sure if that’s a personality trademark for a particular blue...)
20180209_204424.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tokkay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Early MBD or shedding? Or climbing???

Postby Tokkay » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:52 am

I'm not sure I'm able to really see it in the pictures, but from what you describe it sounds like a common problem skinks can get from lots of glass-surfing. Does she ever glass surf or is it only climbing behavior that you see? I suppose climbing often could result in a similar problem depending how/what she's climbing.

Also, she looks like a Halmahera (Indonesian) to me. Possibly Merauke, but definitely not a northern. Make sure your humidity is around 70%- they need it much higher than northerns.

I'm not sure what the UVB output is like on a light like that but you may want a calcium supplement that includes D3 as well, at least to give every few feedings. Even for reptiles with UVB lights its often recommended to give D3 occasionally.

In my opinion though it sounds more like a glass surfing problem over a supplementing one. If it continues to get worse you may want to consider a vet visit just to be safe, but right now I can hardly even see it in the pictures.
Edward
Carpe diem
Carpe diem

Postby Edward » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:15 pm

100% not a Northern. Definitely T. gigas something.
As for the indentation along the spine, I've seen it in many skinks and never as a health issue. Except for the fact that you hadn't noticed it before, I really don't think it's anything to worry about at all.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:26 am

See what you mean by the indentation - doesn't seem to be much of an indentation for the moment, but can't find much information on what it could be.. So far not found data relating it to MBD.

I agree with above that using a calcium with D3 occasionally can be beneficial. Currently, we rotate between using pure calcium (in the form of ground up cuttlefish bone) and calcium powder with D3 - even though we still provide a UVA/UVB bulb in addition.

For ID - it looks like you've got a Kei Island! So try to keep in humidity of 60-80% ideally (some keep them as close to 80% as possible all year round). Lovely skink :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
DomiDCurry
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby DomiDCurry » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Ah, thank you guys so much!!!

I don't think I've ever witnessed her actually glass surfing. She has a HUGE rock she climbs on top of to bask on, so maybe I should elevate the bedding around it so it's less of a climb for her... I was definitely about to go into full blown MBD mode, so I'm glad it's more likely a tank arrangement fix.

I need to get calcium (I'll get with and without D3 for good measure) and a spray bottle for humidity. I usually just open the window she's next to whenever it rains and keep her water dish out constantly, but I definitely need to bump it up.

kayla990 wrote:
I agree with above that using a calcium with D3 occasionally can be beneficial. Currently, we rotate between using pure calcium (in the form of ground up cuttlefish bone) and calcium powder with D3 - even though we still provide a UVA/UVB bulb in addition.

Where does one acquire cuttlefish bone??
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:12 pm

cuttlefish bones can be found at any pet shop in the bird section.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”