BTS Identification

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Beau
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

BTS Identification

Postby Beau » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:54 am

Hi all, I’m picking up my new skink tomorrow (Wednesday), but after doing some research I’m not sure I believe the ID they were provided/have given for her. As long as she’s an Australian species I’m not overly bothered (and 99% sure she is) but could I get some thoughts on which specific type she is? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jreignltp
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: BTS Identification

Postby jreignltp » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:21 am

With BTS images still fresh on my mind, I'm 100% it is an Indonesian species(possibly halmahera). The black on and around the arms gives it away. Not Aussie, but still great.
Beau
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Beau » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45 am

Hmm interesting.. They have her listed as an Eastern. My only concern is that she’s wild caught, as I was really trying to avoid that. I’d gone through all of the Indonesian species and didn’t find any that matched, but there’s so much variation it’s hard to tell. I guess I’ll wait for some other opinions...
Last edited by Beau on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jreignltp
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jreignltp » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:51 am

For sure, need more opinions with this one as it is a bit hard to tell. One flag to keep in mind is it is wild caught. Australia does not export, so I wonder how it was brought to CA?
Beau
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Beau » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:58 am

That’s actually why I wanted an Australian! That way I could be sure it was CBB. If she is the Eastern they claim then she’d have to be captive bred.

Seems to be those black legs are the key indicator that she is and Indo though.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Agree with jreignltp - not an Australian type! The bands are too thin to be an eastern - I'm confident it's an Indonesian type. I agree it's currently looking like a Halmahera. However, I find it easier to ID from the scales under the body (as the pattern is quite different between a Merauke and a Halmahera). If you decide to go ahead with this Bluey, feel free to post more images for further ID confirmation :)
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Beau
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Beau » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:03 pm

After doing some more looking I definitely agree! I guess my next question is - would a WC Halmahera be worth more or less than a CBB Eastern? (Basically, should I try to negotiate the price down before I take her haha) I will post more pictures in better lighting when I have her.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:27 pm

Beau wrote:After doing some more looking I definitely agree! I guess my next question is - would a WC Halmahera be worth more or less than a CBB Eastern? (Basically, should I try to negotiate the price down before I take her haha) I will post more pictures in better lighting when I have her.

Good question! I'd say considering they are advertising wrongly (whereby Indo's need higher humidity, Halmaheras 80-90%) I'd say try get a discount :wink: While I don't know how it is in Canada, in Europe I commonly see Northerns priced much higher (as they are rarer to find over here, not seen any Easterns so far).

You can also try argue that WC may need more vet checks (which isn't lying either! Some wild-caughts may have internal parasites that will need to be treated. Though based on the size, I'd guess it's doing fine health wise, but never hurts to get a fecal check!).
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 am

Unless you live in Australia, you will never find an Eastern in a pet shop and extremely rare at an expo. They can only be obtained from breeders at prices starting at $750 for babies. Adults rarely offered at all and command prices $1200+. That one is an Indonesian import, hard to tell species in pic looks to be Merauke or Halmahera. CBB blueys in pet shops are just about non existant. Many imports are misrepresented due to the ignorance of the seller or the desire to sell something of little value for more money.
Beau
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Beau » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:37 pm

Well regardless, I picked him/her up today and got some more pictures before putting him away. I did get a discount for the false name, although I realized after that the rest of the info on the tag was correct. (Origin: Indonesia, Size: 20”) My fault for not reading closely! Any better idea about species and sex?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Lovely skink - and good you managed to get a bit of discount in the end! Yep, looking like a Halmahera to me (so will need to keep humidity around 80-90% average, I'd guess it's previously had a poor shed - based on part of the missing toe on the back foot). Looking good otherwise! Enjoy your new cute friend :D
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:53 am

Yes, Halmahera. Can't tell sex, looking male but that's a far out wild guess. He's beautiful, all the best of luck with him. As previously mentioned, very high humidity.
Karbon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Karbon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:22 am

Looks like a nice, healthy Halmahera BTS!

Congrats! :)
Beau
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Beau » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:42 am

Thanks everyone! She’s in a PVC tank with 6” of substrate so the humidity should be pretty good to maintain. I’ll see how it goes and can block a few of the vents or add a Mist King if needed.
jreignltp
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jreignltp » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 am

Wow, nice enclosure and even nicer looking skink! Congrats on your new friend! I'm new to skink keeping and also have a halmahera thats about 3-mo old.
Beau
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Beau » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:37 am

jreignltp wrote:Wow, nice enclosure and even nicer looking skink! Congrats on your new friend! I'm new to skink keeping and also have a halmahera thats about 3-mo old.

Thanks! This one measures 14” total length, not sure about age but a fellow keeper put his guess on around a year.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:23 pm

Probably a good guess on age. Had one a few years back that reached 22" !! Awesome setup, that's a very lucky lizard!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”