not eating

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlackR0se
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

not eating

Postby BlackR0se » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:26 am

im not going to lie im freaking out a bit....so here's the deal. ive got an 8 month old northern and all the sudden she's gone off food. her last good meal was over 12 days ago, did get one small bit of banana last Friday, but not enough to count as a meal). The vet has seen her and say she looks good and sees no surface health issue, other then a bit of dry belly scales (NY in winter is dry... ive got a humidifier over her tank) but we haven't done any blood work or xrays yet, doc wanted a stool sample but she wont give us one. Vet isn't sure what could cause it, but says it happends some times in winter months and to just keep offering her different stuff till she wants something. Ive tried everything to get my little one to eat again im super worried! she has always been a good eater. tank temps hold at or around 100 on the hot end and 75 the cool end. she's acting normal other then the not eating part, looks to be drinking ive not seen her but her water bowel is emptier then just evaporation can account for. this morning she acted like she wanted the Egg i held out to her but then just smelled it and turned away.... she never refuses Egg, never..... any help would be great or am i just worry over nothing?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: not eating

Postby splashy07 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:49 am

Some Northerns go into brumation whether you want them to or not. Also, breeding season is beginning and when males are in season they do not eat for the most part. They may pick a bit but mostly turn away from food. Some of my females even do. Mine are all up now but some brumated off their usual times. None of my males are eating right now except a youngster who brumated early and went into season early. Could be just that, and nothing to worry about if that's the case.
BlackR0se
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlackR0se » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:18 am

splashy07 wrote:Some Northerns go into brumation whether you want them to or not. Also, breeding season is beginning and when males are in season they do not eat for the most part. They may pick a bit but mostly turn away from food. Some of my females even do. Mine are all up now but some brumated off their usual times. None of my males are eating right now except a youngster who brumated early and went into season early. Could be just that, and nothing to worry about if that's the case.

im hoping thats what this is. so they will Brumate even if you kept the encloser temps up? how long does urs normally go off food? im still newbie, and my little one is only 8 months old i did think matting was a thing this early on.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:41 pm

I have an 8 month old that started brumation in early November and just came out. She is still not eating. I've got two others (males) the same age that did not brumate but went into season and one is still not eating. About three weeks now. They do what they will regardless, I do not intentionally brumate them until after their first year. If your skink has good weight I wouldn't worry just yet. Is he pacing around the cage and restless? If so you may have a male in season. My three year old male is in season and not eating, but my female isn't ready and she's just beginning to pick at food. Just to give you a brief idea of seasonal behavior.
BlackR0se
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlackR0se » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:40 am

splashy07 wrote:I have an 8 month old that started brumation in early November and just came out. She is still not eating. I've got two others (males) the same age that did not brumate but went into season and one is still not eating. About three weeks now. They do what they will regardless, I do not intentionally brumate them until after their first year. If your skink has good weight I wouldn't worry just yet. Is he pacing around the cage and restless? If so you may have a male in season. My three year old male is in season and not eating, but my female isn't ready and she's just beginning to pick at food. Just to give you a brief idea of seasonal behavior.

thank you, she's not restless. but she is moving round and is drinking water. the last few days she has been lounging under her rock hid with eyes half open but if i call the her she will look at me. the vet did recommend i buy a scale to keep an eye on her weight. thanks again.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”