Skink ID help

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Tasha
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Skink ID help

Postby Tasha » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:40 pm

Hello, I’d just like some help IDing this bts. The people selling him over kijiji say that he was sold to them (off of kijiji) as a northern, but I think he looks like a lot of the merakues out there. Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Skink ID help

Postby kayla990 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:32 am

Hey Tasha!

Fully agree you've not got a Northern. Do you happen to have an image (or know) the pattern on the underside? If it's small amounts of black dots, with mainly pink/whiteish colour - it could be a Merauke. However, to me it's looking more like a Halmahera (which would have primarily dark colours underside, big areas of black/with splotches of pink patches).

But definitely need to keep your Bluey in humid conditions (60-80% if Merauke, 80-90% if Halmahera). Hope this gives an idea to start with!

Also - is the mouth ok? It looks a little crusty - it could be potential mouth issues, especially as they thought (s)he was a Northern (or possibly just some food if you've recently fed them!). I would keep a check on it :) Depending on how many others were in the shop, it may be an idea to tell Kijiji they are not Northerns...

All the best!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Tasha
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Skink ID help

Postby Tasha » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:29 pm

I have no idea what he underside looks like, only these pictures were posted. I did a lot of hunting through pictures, and it looks like Meraukes have slimmer heads, maybe.

I think I’m going to pass on this particular bluey but I might pick up a Merauke from a shop instead. I’m not sure how I didn’t notice the mouth, but yes that doesn’t look great. I’ll let the sellers know about the type it could be!

Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”