Blue tongue species identification?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Blue tongue species identification?

Postby Yeshika » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:32 pm

Been lurking on this website for a while now, reading care-sheets and gathering info. Brought home my first bluey yesterday (I'm uncertain of gender but it's not crucial and I think impossible to tell at this age), and already he's seeming to settle in well. He's three and a half weeks old, and I've been told he's a Northern. I'm not super experienced with these guys, so I just wanted to see if that's correct or not. Thank you!

(Sorry about only one photo, I can add more once he's comfortable being held. Don't want to upset him)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Blue tongue species identification?

Postby kayla990 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:05 am

Cute little guy! While I'm still learning how to ID - it's looking like an Eastern to me :D as I can't see the typical 'orange' bands on the side of the body of Northerns.. Hopefully another experienced keeper can confirm!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:57 pm

Yeah, definitely eastern.
This is what a northern juvenile looks like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:43 pm

Awesome, thank you guys. I just wanted to make sure I knew the species to be able to provide proper temps and humidity. Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”