Leaving BTS for a Few Days

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
astralruby
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Leaving BTS for a Few Days

Postby astralruby » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:53 am

I'm visiting my parents later this month, and it was originally going to be for 5 days, so I wasn't concerned about finding someone to take care of my Northern BTS, Radish. However, plans have changed and I'll now be gone for 9 days. I usually feed Radish canned dog food and veggies 2-3 times a week with fruits as treats inbetween. His lights are on a timer. Will he be okay for 9 days without food + water? Or should I be trying to find someone to come feed him while I'm gone? Thanks
Tokkay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Leaving BTS for a Few Days

Postby Tokkay » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:29 am

Definitely make sure to put a large, heavy water dish in there while you're gone so that he won't run out of water and can't tip the dish over while you're gone. I've found ceramic dog bowls work pretty well.

I would recommend having someone come over to check on him 1-2 times while you're gone at least. Going from feeding every 2-3 days to not being fed for over 9 days is a big difference for your skink, but if someone could even feed him once during the middle of your trip it would be better for him. Healthy adult skinks usually can go awhile without being fed, especially during brumation with low temps, but it's not a good idea to wait such a long time between feedings if you're maintaining regular basking temperatures, especially when he's used to being fed more regularly.

As long as he has water available, it wouldn't be the end of the world to not feed for 9 days, but I think it will be better for your skink if you can avoid doing that.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Leaving BTS for a Few Days

Postby splashy07 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:53 am

Yes, 9 days, even 5 is a bit of a stretch without a water change. You can always leave a bowl of dry food in there for him but no water change for that long is not good. Water in a warm cage quickly develops bacteria. I would at least have someone come in and change it every two days, three at the most.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”