Cat vs. Terrarium

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
crutons22
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Cat vs. Terrarium

Postby crutons22 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:04 pm

I have a semi-large tank (48.5"x15.5"17.25") and my cat has always been too interested in my BTS. He has now figured out he can get on top of the tank and has sat up there and knocked the mesh out of the frame from the top cover of the tank. I was able to get the mesh back in the frame of the cover by tucking it back in with the gasket and he stopped trying to get on top of the tank for a month or so.

This past week he has been doing it again and bent the frame of the top cover completely askew and I've had to bend the frame back into place. Now the aluminum frame has almost completely given away in the center.

I've tried all of the anti-cat technology that I can think of: putting aluminum foil around and on top of the tank, using a couple of these https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-PDT00-13 ... B000RIA95G to scare him away if he tries to jump up there but he doesn't seem deterred anymore. He's 10lbs and only going to get bigger (he's only 8 months old) and the tank cover can't take it anymore.

I want to avoid buying completely new tank, does anyone have any suggestions on how to reinforce the mesh tank cover? I'll probably have to buy a new tank cover but after looking online I don't see any that are the same dimensions of the tank I have...

I'm also concerned about the heat lamp falling in considering this usually happens when we are asleep or the first time it happened we were actually on vacation and luckily had someone checking on the pets while we were gone. I'd probably be better off getting a hard solid cover to go on top of the tank cover but I assume those are custom made.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Cat vs. Terrarium

Postby kayla990 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Cats can be tricky to discourage when they are so determined!

Besides for placing the tank in a different room which can be closed, there may be a few alternatives:

1) Find a piece of furniture that can be placed over the tank. If your tank is on the floor, maybe a short table/coffee table can go on top of it. If it's on a shelf, maybe install a large sturdy shelf above it. Ideally the smaller the gap between the furniture to the tank the better (so they can't squish themselves between!) or blocking off any additional space with something like a polystyrene sheet, blanket etc (though this means the ventilation will be hindered, so take it into consideration; along with possible increased heat). As furniture is made to have objects on them, it wouldn't be a problem if they still want to sit on it.

2) To stop the screen mesh from popping out, it may work by using strong duct tape along the edges. However, if the section that pops off is needed to move - to get access to the tank - then that wouldn't be too ideal!

3) Replace the mesh with another strong material. It's possible to get acrylic sheets ordered in a specific size. This can also be drilled into for making ventilation holes. While quite light and sturdy, thick pieces may be good long term as your kitty grows :D and a bit of planning may be needed to make sure it can fit well without any risk of it falling into the tank.

4) Similar to #3, a fully DIY hood is possible. Youtube videos by some people could be able to assist (from the top of my head, maybe check SerpaDesign videos). I wonder how well you can reinforce the lid with pieces of wood beams/square dowels? Can't say for sure how good that'd be long term, and would need to be confident they haven't been pre-treated by chemicals.

5) If you do feel like a tank change is needed, try to get one with doors that can open at the front. It'd be an easier route to be able to padlock the doors together, and most have glass tops so that wouldn't warp if your kitty keeps sitting on it (I would presume it wouldn't be an issue even as an adult).

Can't think of anything else! But I'd never underestimate a cat - keep a close watch! Some have mentioned to be careful when using the sprays around the lizards too, can make them more flighty and *some* say can be bad for their health as well (but personally would think a lot would have to be used!).
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:25 am

Haven't had cats for years because of allergies, but I have found that nothing will deter them from getting where they want to be. I'm sure this is quite stressful for your lizard also as cats are a natural enemy of theirs. If your light has to go on top of the tank I can't see any solution other than a different type enclosure or keeping it in a room that can be closed off from other animals. Animal Plastics and Reptile Basics have some nice PVC type enclosures in which interior lights can be installed, and eliminating the whole top opening thing with sliding glass doors. They also hold in heat and humidity a hundred times better while also keeping your reptile safe from other household inhabitants. Cats just love to sit on top of warm places, and what a bonus to have a lizard to watch...would be a hard sell keeping him away.
crutons22
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby crutons22 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:04 pm

Thank you both. I'm going order an acrylic sheet and cut it to size. If that doesn't workout, I'll get a new terrarium that opens in the front. Hard part will be cutting openings for the heat lamp and UVB lamps...
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:28 am

You can buy those cages with lamps already installed.
crutons22
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby crutons22 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:16 pm

I'm working on making the new acrylic cover and plan on mounting a 34" UVB florescent fixture on the cover on the inside. That will cover the UVB lamp I used to use. Right now I also use a 100W ceramic bulb for a heat lamp and I would really rather not deal with cutting an opening on the acrylic for the heat lamp. Would it be a bad idea to switch to a heating pad/mat if my BTS has been used to the heat lamp this entire time? He's almost 2 years old. I'm not worried about keeping it warm enough, I'm in california so it doesn't get too cold.
crutons22
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby crutons22 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:39 pm

Also any recommendations on heating mat/pad from amazon? Are they ok to put underneath the terrarium carpet if that is the only layer?
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:09 pm

While I'm sure it can be done, I'd be cautious about only using a heatmat as a heating source. Heat mats can run a risk of overheating (at least based on their history, maybe they have improved now!), and so it's still recommended to put it under the glass, instead of inside/only under a single layer of carpet (and since Bluey's in particular may try burrow underneath, feels like a risk to me to use a mat in the tank).

I'm aware for other species people tend to rely on heat tape/heating cables instead, as they are thought to be safer (often used by snake owners). Sadly can't give brand recommendations if you go that route, as no personal experience with them!

Alternatively if you still want the holes in the acrylic, but don't want to cut it yourself - most of the larger DIY stores should offer cutting services (which shouldn't be too pricey - but best to ask for prices before committing to it).

Hard to say health-wise how he'll be without a basking light. However realistically, I know some breeders don't have basking lights in their setup - and say they are healthy without :)

Goodluck!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:47 am

Some breeders keep their skinks in racks such as those used for snakes and keep them successfully, but a basking spot would be optimum. My skinks love to bask under their lamps. Although I'm quite overcrowded and have been tempted to switch over to racks, I still can't do it as I love observing them. Heat mats must be used with a thermostat, as any other similar heating device should. I would never place one inside the cage. If it is to be used on a glass cage it must go underneath the tank, with a very reliable thermostat (Herpstat or similar) as I have seen inexpensive ones malfunction and cause overheating.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 am

Best anti-cat technologies are
>>> a closed door and window (locking the cat out of the room where lizards are) FOREVER.
>>> a solid HEAVY timber lid rather than a mesh lid

Better still .... NO CAT.

Never allow the cat access to a lizard , better still , make sure the cat never finds out there is a lizard living in the house (as it will be extremely hard to keep away from it when it knows there is a lizard present and will eventually attack it , it's only a matter of time and will always end badly for the lizard).
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:32 am

crutons22 wrote:Also any recommendations on heating mat/pad from amazon? Are they ok to put underneath the terrarium carpet if that is the only layer?

This is what I do for my 2 x EBTs and my dragons and my water skink : https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... s#p1746469

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”