Questions about brumation from a new owner...

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Hyrulemaster77
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Questions about brumation from a new owner...

Postby Hyrulemaster77 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Hey everyone! I am proud to announce that as of October I am an excited if a bit nervous parent of a Northern Blue Tongue skink! 'Her' name is Spooks, and she is about 6 months old. Recently, we had a day where the furnace suddenly gave out and the air temperature of her living quarters dropped to about 60 degrees F. I live in Minnesota and the drop happend at night but thankfully I had a space heater going so it didn't get too cold. I spent most of the morning warming her, and she seemed to be fine.

That was about two weeks ago. Since that time she hasn't been very active and I am wondering if she went into brumation accidentally? I offered her a few small roaches which she happily went after, but I haven't seen her out basking much since the incident and she hasn't been very interested in food. She mostly spends the time I'm home in her cave on the cooler end which is still around 83 degrees F (the warm side is in the 90s). The other point of concern is I haven't seen her poop for awhile. My question is this. When skinks are in brumation, do they have really slowed bathroom habits as well? Should I be concerned? I think I saw a uerate but no feces...should I be as worried as I am? Am I over thinking this? Should I take her to a vet?? :noknow:
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Questions about brumation from a new owner...

Postby Y33T » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:57 am

seeing only urates and no poop is perfectly normal during brumation.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Questions about brumation from a new owner...

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:02 am

Temp changes will often trigger brumation, nothing abnormal here. Sometimes it's even sort of like a 'semi-brumation' where they will come out and take a little food at times, have something to drink and then retreat again.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”