Shedding

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Halogen
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Shedding

Postby Halogen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Ok so my skink has mostly gotten all his shed off, yet some still remains. What is the best way to get it off? I know there is shed ease, but he squirms so much when I give him baths, it almost impossible. He even tried crawling up my shirt to avoid the water. The baths got some off but since it requires time for the shed ease to settle its rarely effective. He also squirms alot when i try rubbing the shed off since it is on his toes and a little bit left on his head. Anyone have tips?
Fiji Fan Club President.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Shedding

Postby kayla990 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm

Aww, sounds tricky! I'm presuming the water is luke warm? Just in case it's too cool; could be why he's avoiding it. Can't comment on the shed ease, as previously plain water worked well.

Have you got a humid hide and/or large water dish? If not, it could help as they can decide to go in on their own terms.

If you've got a greedy skink, distraction with food could be possible (for example, holding them above food, letting them chomp on the food and perhaps soaking your own hand/cotton wool in the water to gently rub on the scales while they are distracted).

Otherwise.. not sure what else to add! Maybe a light spraying/misting on the body? But can imagine that'd make most run/squirm if they aren't expecting it!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”