New Owner Questions!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
dishay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Owner Questions!

Postby dishay » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:46 pm

Hello! I got my first BTS (first reptile pet ever) three days ago. He is full grown and currently in a 20 gallon tank, which I am working on upgrading as it obviously isn’t big enough.

He has eaten a little Blue Buffalo Beef Grill and about half a raspberry since I’ve had him, and his poop is runny. He has been curling up in his hide or burrowing in his substrate (fir bark) for most of the day, and sleeps a lot. I know three days is a very short time to have him and he is probably just adjusting, but I am worried that I am doing something wrong (apart from his enclosure, which I know is too small).

He gets fresh, conditioned water every morning, I have kale, butternut squash, Blue Buffalo, egg, and a few fruits to feed him this week, and his temperature gradient is 70 degrees F to 90 degrees F (also know that this is a little low, will probably go get a stronger bulb tonight). He did have to take a pretty long (5 hour) drive down. He was in a ventilated shoebox lined with a soft pillowcase and warmed with hand warmers beneath the pillowcase at one end, and we kept the car well-heated.
Is there anything else I need to be doing for him or is he just stressed and getting acclimated?

He is very, very sweet, likes to explore, and makes eye contact with everyone he meets before offering a few flicks of his tongue and a lick or two. I love him dearly and want to make his transition into his new home as comfortable as possible. Sorry for the long post and thanks!
Bryson26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: New Owner Questions!

Postby Bryson26 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:16 pm

I would say he’s most likely stressed. Continue to observe him and if he keeps have runny poop then it might be something to consider a vet check up. But most likely he’s just very stressed out. But what you’re feeding sounds good to me. The egg does need to stay on occasion because it can cause runny poop
dishay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby dishay » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Thank you! I haven’t actually fed him any egg yet, just have it on standby as an occasional protein. I’ll keep an eye on him and take him to the vet if necessary. :D
Bryson26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Bryson26 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:15 am

No problem!
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:49 am

Lovely your first pet is a Bluey :D hope you'll have a great time with them!

So a few other things to add:

1) Do you know what type of Bluey you have? For example a Northern or Indonesian, so that you can provide correct humidity. If you're not too sure you can post a picture here, there are experienced keepers here who can help identify it!

2) Do you know if it's captive bred? Just throwing it out there that sometimes diarrhea could be a sign of internal parasites (which are found in most wild caughts). But good chance you've got a captive bred, based on the friendly behaviour :)

3) It could also be from a food change - as many different animals have an adjustment time (as the gut flora may need to adapt)

4) As you've already noted the temperatures are on the low side. While I wouldn't consider it to have affects for the moment, they can have problems digesting correctly when it's cool.

But so far doesn't sound too concerning - if it doesn't change in some more days; then may be worth sending a stool sample for testing at the vets.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:25 pm

I agree with all the above responses. I would for sure get a fecal checked out if the runny stool continues. Also as you already know a larger enclosure will also help a ton. The sooner the better. The minimum enclosure size is 36 by 18 by 18. Ideally anything over 4ft is the best. When you have a chance please post some pictures of your skink, so we can help figure out exactly the proper care your skink needs. You are already off to a great start and congratulations on your new skink. Remember we all are here to help if needed.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”