Cypress Mulch or Repti Bark?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
araquanid
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Cypress Mulch or Repti Bark?

Postby araquanid » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:13 pm

I'm looking for a better substrate that holds humidity better since it's very dry where I live. I've seen both Repti Bark and Cypress recommended for this.
Which do you think is better and/or do you have other recommendations?
Karbon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Cypress Mulch or Repti Bark?

Postby Karbon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi there!

I personally use 100% Cypress Mulch since I have a Halmahera BTS that needs more humidity.

I've seen it recommended by a bunch of sites including this one and it's available at my local Lowes and Home Depot. ($3.33 for a whole bag of it!)
I've never seen bugs or parasites in it and I've checked multiple bags.

The local breeder I purchased my BTS from said they have used it for years without an issue.
My BTS seems to like it and the humidity stays optimal in his enclosure - I've only had him for a few months but it's been in his cage since day 1 and he's thriving.

I don't have any experience with Repti-Bark but it's WAY more expensive per bag than Cypress Mulch so no reason for me to use it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”