For humidity lovers

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

For humidity lovers

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:00 pm

I recently stumbled upon this substrate while browsing the Josh's Frogs site, and I thought it would be beneficial for those who keep Indonesian species, especially Halmaheras. I have found it to hold humidity longer than anything else I have experimented with. It is orchid bark. Here's a picture of the bag. Oops sorry it's upside down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: For humidity lovers

Postby kayla990 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:13 pm

Yay! Looks good, we've got Exo Terra Forest Bark mixed in our substrate, which is basically re-branded Orchid bark :) (But don't mind it's a little more expensive vs. orchid bark; since we don't have access to Josh Frogs in Europe - at least we know it's not been treated with chemicals/safe to use!).

What ratio do you find effective? We've got nearly a 2:2:1:1 of Coco Coir: Sphagnum moss: Exo Terra Forest Bark: Zoo Med Cypress Mulch.
Seems to work well for now (and feels quite nice to rummage through), but if you found other ratios worked well - I'd love to hear!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:18 pm

I use this straight up in their hides when shedding is imminent, or I will go half with traditional repti-bark for the rest of the enclosure. I use cypress mulch for some of my snakes, so at times this is mixed in. I don't really measure exact. Pretty much depends on what I have left, actually, as I keep Northerns and Easterns and don't have to worry about high humidity. I primarily use this for my tropical insects. It is marketed for amphibians and similar so I think it would be ideal for Gigas types. You may be able to find it or similar at a local garden center, just be one hundred percent sure it is not treated with chemicals. Way cheaper too when not marketed for pet trade. I have kept Halmaheras in the past, wish I knew about this stuff then!
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Ahh good plan. As in the 'cave' section - the moss sticks to the coco-coir too much, so that's a good idea to use it primarily in the hide :D

Sounds like you've got a good collection going on. Saw the pics of your Halmaheras, they were gorgeous! Curious, how come you went for Northerns/Easterns instead? I'm guessing not worrying about humidity is a big bonus ^__^
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:31 am

Decision based on nothing other than I wanted to breed, and Halmaheras are darn near impossible. I find them to be the most beautiful of the Gigas clan. And mine were tame as puppies. They now reside with a friend of mine who owns a breeding facilty, waiting on what happens there.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”