Very sick skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Karbon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Very sick skink

Postby Karbon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Keytal wrote:Thanks guys? Btw, may I ask something?

What is the consistency of your skinks' poop? I mean most of mines are pooping pretty firm and very dark/blackish. This particular female is now much better as I said, pooped black and firm but every time I give them dog food she has a runny poop (now I start to see some pattern). Right after I wrote how happy I am I went to the room and saw her pooping a runny one again. Now I start to think her digestive system has something against dog food. I feed only premium level dog food (select gold/royal canin) and none of my skinks has any problem with it only she does.

It's most likely the antibiotics.

If a human is on antibiotics, the same thing happens, it becomes runny. The antibiotics kill the 'good' bacteria in your gut along with the bad. That's what leads to it being runny.

Once her antibiotics are complete and she's feeling better, things should return to normal on their own.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:17 pm

HI again and of course you may ask us any questions anytime. As for the stool, it may very well be the dog food. Have you tried a different brand or protein source yet? Her belly still may be upset from everything she has been through. Each skinks poop schedule is different. My one skink poops almost immediately after eating a meal. The other one takes a fews days. It also depends on their diet (eggs and banana are common to cause this). I hope this helps
aza
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby aza » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Can you show us a picture of what you're feeding? It might help to figure out if there might be an issue if we have more information on the line/ingredients/nutritional ratios of the food.

So glad your skink is doing better!
Keytal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Keytal » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:54 am

Since you guys said I left eggs and banana out from the brew completely.

I don't remember what exactly I put into the meal prior to the runny poop but I can tell what I fed her the day she pooped. She poops right after food too. I usually mix my brew with similar ration but with changing the ingredients.

Her very last meal (no poop after it yet) was:

30% radish leaf + collard green mixture (70% radish leaf from the green mix)
10% boiled broccoli
10% carrot + radish mix
40% boiled chicken breast (here I have to be honest: I don't think it was the leanest but it wasn't full of fat either)
10% peach + potato + spinach baby mix for flavoring it
Extra strawberry pieces for some extra color

Usually this is how I make my mix for the animals. I have 8 skinks, 7 has nothing wrong ever, only this little lady.

About changing the brand: I thought about it but not yet tried any other but next time I will try for sure.
Last edited by Keytal on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:50 am

Agree it's likely influenced by the antibiotics for the moment.

And looks like a good food mixture from what I can tell :) the only questionable food would be the spinach (and possibly broccoli) - heard mixed reviews on both of these (some claim it they be toxic for reptiles, others seem to say it's completely fine.. difficult to find scientific research specifically for Blueys on this).

Keytal wrote:40% boiled chicken breast (here I have to be honest: I don't think it was the most leanest but it wasn't full of fat)

I wouldn't be too concerned by the fat here :D Fat has a bad reputation before (as without going to deep into it, they did tests on herbivores such as rabbits, then concluded fats must be bad because they can't digest it/had bad cholesterol.. instead of testing on omnivores). There is more and more evidence recently showing that fat isn't as scary as we think and actually has health benefits. It can be argued that in the wild, if omnivores find a carcass - they'd consume both the fatty and leaner parts.

Also.. something I've not really thought on is individual food allergies per reptile.. can only find info on people being allergic to reptiles xD does anyone know more about this? Logic would say it's possible; perhaps it could be happening in her case?
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
aza
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby aza » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:37 am

Spinach is considered dangerous for a lot of reptiles because it's high in oxalates/oxalic acid, which can form crystals and bind up calcium where it can't be processed. A little now and then is OK for most veggie-eating species, it just needs to be balanced out. :)
Keytal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Keytal » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 pm

Yea I've heard too that spinach is not good as a staple, it was a first time they got some and it was a baby mix. I will keep it low in their diet for sure :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”