Hello! I would like a second opinion. Possible gout or early MBD???

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Hannahsammeli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Hello! I would like a second opinion. Possible gout or early MBD???

Postby Hannahsammeli » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:52 pm

So I’ve had my Northern BTS For a few months now... he eats like a horse... seems to use all the space in the enclosure, regulates just fine... I have a 10.0 15 watt uvb mounted just under the screen lid inside the enclosure.. gradient from hot to cold is 100-78ish... I’ve just noticed him growing a LOT in the past or so. Made a wellness checkup for him next week, test his blood and poo levels for everything. But with the overall growth I wasn’t sure if his little arms seemed a bit too big. Take a look and tell me what you think. Regardless i am still taking him in next week, just curious what everyone thought...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Hello! I would like a second opinion. Possible gout or early MBD???

Postby splashy07 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:26 am

I don't see anything wrong. Keeping a close watch on your pet's health is never a bad thing, though.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:52 am

Agree with splashy - great to keep close watch regardless :) Overall the legs don't look too strange, but does seem a little puffy on the 3rd picture.. guess the main way to tell is if they try to avoid using the joint while moving around.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:54 am

I suggest upgrading the UVB to AT LEAST a 25W UVB200 (10%UVB) mounted UNDER the lid and about 8 inches from his basking spot. I'd also invest in a Exo Terra Nano-Hood for the 25W UVB200.
Better still consider investing in a 10%UVB T8 tube in reflector hood mounted UNDER the mesh lid.

The mesh will be blocking 40% of the UV and the current 13W compact is way too weak to be effective when mounted ontop the mesh , might as well have no UV like that and if not already in early stages of MBD, soon will be unless the UVB flux is upped

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”