Eating feces

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
gust0640
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Eating feces

Postby gust0640 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:04 am

Hello there

I've though for a while that my skink didnt poop very much, and today i found out why – He eats it

He does it right when he poops. He is well fed. I feed him about twice or three time a' week, and I give him about what he can eat in a sitting, if not a little more. He is not overweight or skinny. I've had him for about 5 years now and I don't thing he's being doing it all this time, although I'm not sure.

Is this normal behavior? Should I be worried? What is your experience on the matter? I'm looking forward to your replies.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year from Denmark! :)
Hannahsammeli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Eating feces

Postby Hannahsammeli » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:07 pm

This is interesting. I’ve only had my bluey for a little under a year now, I have never noticed him eating his poop, BUT I have seen him turn around and check it out as if he thought about eating it. Lol very curious if anyone else has any input on the subject :edward:
FluffySkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Eating feces

Postby FluffySkink » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Not sure about reptiles, but I do know in other animals eating faeces can mean they are not getting enough nutrients from their food.

I'd say give your exotic vet a ring and see what they say about it, just to be on the safe side :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”