Sexing with two different species?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Tokkay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Sexing with two different species?

Postby Tokkay » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:09 pm

So I know BTS are pretty tricky to sex, but I've read that one reliable method is to put two skinks together and observe their reactions.

Will this work with two skinks of different species as well? I have a northern and a Kei Island skink I'd like to sex if possible (I am NOT interested in breeding them together, don't worry!) but I'm not sure if the method applies. I have placed them together before and they seem curious but mostly uninterested in one another. I don't know how old my Kei Island skink is but my northern is 2.5 years old, and I wasn't even sure if age factored in as well. Neither have been brumated before since I've had them, so maybe that also has an effect on how they react to one another?
craigb
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Sexing with two different species?

Postby craigb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Here is a youtube video showing almost 4 minutes of a male trying to breed with a female. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hClILxQx9k4

This is one from an actual hook up.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XprUjXoPTrc

My guess is that you have two girls. I believe two males would exhibit the same behavior aggressively with each other.

Keep looking for information. I have some knowledge, but there are people here with much more experience than me. :noknow:
Education is expensive.
Ignorance is priceless

1.2 Northerns 1.1 Merauke

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”