Night time temps.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Hannahsammeli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Night time temps.

Postby Hannahsammeli » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Soooo I’ve had my northern for a few months... I haven’t ever lowered her temps over night, I’ve always had heating units on 24 hours a day, just have my day lighting/uvb lighting on a timer. Should I put all me heating units on my day and night timer also? Especially if my ambient temps in the room is about 73-75f. Will she be ok if I start this now? Especially not doing this anytime prior? Will this help with skink activity and energy levels? She eats and poops totally normally and consistently and she seems totally fine... I just recently realized a drop in temp at night his seriously important and a probable necessity. I would greatly appreciate the help! Thank you community! :noknow: :thumbs:
Tokkay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Night time temps.

Postby Tokkay » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:19 pm

If 73-75 are the room temps then you should be totally fine to keep her heat off at night. Most people recommend a cool down period overnight and I've had no problems with my skinks while doing it.

I don't think it'll be a problem to switch it over for her! I actually had my skinks on 24 hour heat when I first got them before making the change, and they had no problems with changing to a 12 hour heat period.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Night time temps.

Postby splashy07 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 am

Ditto what Tokkay said. I've been keeping reptiles for 40+ years and have never used nighttime heat for lizards with the exception of when I was raising baby Cyclura iguanas.
Temps in winter in my apartment 65-67. Just keep in mind they should not be fed close to the time heat lamps go off.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”