Odd behavior?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Jnicotina1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Odd behavior?

Postby Jnicotina1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:31 am

Hi guys - I just want to know if anyone else has experiences this and if it’s normal?

I got my indo skink in October. Let him settle for about a week. Then when I was taking him out he was fine. Yes he was huffy at first, but he relaxed out side of the enclosure. Now though, I’m noticing he’s more jumpy and cautious when I take him out? Is this normal? Does he just still need time to adjust?

Thanks!
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Odd behavior?

Postby ReptiFiles » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am

"Jumpy and cautious" how? Does he run away from you when you pick up up/try to escape during handling? ...Please elaborate.
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
Jnicotina1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jnicotina1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:49 am

No he’s fine when I’m handling him. But if he’s on the floor and I go to pick something up next to him, it’s clear it gets really frightened, which he didn’t do during the first few weeks I had him. It sounds silly now, writing it out, of course he’s going to be frightened of something much larger than him..I just find it odd that he wasn’t like this in the very beginning.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:21 am

What kind of BTS do you have? If he is Indonesian he is most likely a recent import (unless you got a long term captive) and will need time to adjust to new surroundings, new photoperiods, all things different. Just to mention even with captive bred and long term captives, they can get frightened when something comes from above. Danger comes from above, and this is imprinted on them, it is just the nature of a slow moving secretive reptile. First instinct is they will be harmed or eaten. Best to be on the same level with your skink, if he is on the floor sit with him, try not to reach down at him. This practice would even frighten my seven year old Northern.
They have good moods and bad ones just like we do, and if he is removed from his surroundings that he is not yet accustomed to when he doesn't want to be, this will be evident.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”