Brumation?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
amybitter
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Brumation?

Postby amybitter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a question, so my BTS one day she buried herself all day and slept all day didn't wake up at all. The next day she was awake and ate and was active. The next day she did the same thing she did the previous; however, the first day she slept all day her temperature in her tank didn't go above 70 and I got a new bulb and it was 90 in her tank and it has been 90 in her tank since but she is still burrowing herself all day. Today she buried herself all day until about 5 o'clock she decided to wake up and eat and be active. What do you think is going on? (I have had her for almost a month)
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Brumation?

Postby ReptiFiles » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:41 am

Can you give us more information about your skink and setup?
- What type of BTS do you have? (if you don't know, post a pic and we can help)
- What is your temperature gradient? (basking (hottest), ambient (middle), cool end)
- What is your humidity?
- Do you have hides?
- Post a pic of your setup
- How often do you handle your skink, and how does it react?
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
amybitter
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby amybitter » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:16 pm

1. she is an Indonesian
2. Hottest end is 90-96 degrees
3. I try to keep my humidity between 60-90 percent
4. I have one hide
6. since I just got her she is still very scared of me and people in general so handling isn't very often.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 am

Being Indo she is most likely a recent import and is probably getting used to the clocks here. Sounds like normal behavior if this is so. Keep temps, photoperiods, and feeding schedule regular and she will adjust. Her experiences before coming to you were more than likely not favorable, and her fear of humans is justified. She will come around. They are amazingly resilient animals. And yes, a picture of your setup would be beneficial.
amybitter
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby amybitter » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:43 pm

It's okay guys, I figured it out! She was in shed and now she is back to normal!!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”