Just got my first bts. How often should I feed her?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
hibutan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Just got my first bts. How often should I feed her?

Postby hibutan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:44 am

So I just got my blue tongue skink on sunday. She's a few years old and is a merauke.
I got her off of craigslist and she's been eating good since day one.
She seems really hungry so I've been feeding her a little each day because she just seems like she hasn't eaten much lately?
is it okay to give her a little bit of food daily? I've researched and read that you're supposed to feed them 1-2 a week but I feel that'd be mean with how hungry she seems :/ would every other day be sufficient?
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Just got my first bts. How often should I feed her?

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:12 pm

How much are you feeding her? Try feeding her as much as she will eat in one sitting then feeding her again a week later.
hibutan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby hibutan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:38 am

EricaLikeBurrito wrote:How much are you feeding her? Try feeding her as much as she will eat in one sitting then feeding her again a week later.

i found out yesterday that she has some major pinworms which might be why shes so hungry?
i'm getting her treated today.
and i feed her a very small amount daily. probably half a tablespoon of dog food and a couple bugs. she eats them all like she hasn't eaten in weeks! even though she just ate yesterday.
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiFiles » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:22 am

Can you post a picture of her? Adult skinks should only be eating 1-2x/week. Portion size should be the size of her head.

Blue tongue skinks can be very opportunistic eaters, eating whenever food is available (not just when they're hungry). This means that they can easily become overweight.
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
hibutan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby hibutan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:42 am

ReptiFiles wrote:Can you post a picture of her? Adult skinks should only be eating 1-2x/week. Portion size should be the size of her head.

Blue tongue skinks can be very opportunistic eaters, eating whenever food is available (not just when they're hungry). This means that they can easily become overweight.

EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:42 pm

She looks a bit big. She might be eating because food is available and not because she is hungry like what Repti Files said. Is she wild caught?
hibutan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby hibutan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:44 pm

EricaLikeBurrito wrote:She looks a bit big. She might be eating because food is available and not because she is hungry like what Repti Files said. Is she wild caught?

yeah i'm assuming she is
i took her in and she had major pinworms so shes getting treated for that now. could the pinworms be making her hungry?
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiFiles » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:48 am

Looks like you have a Merauke, and she's a big girl! Pinworms might be affecting her appetite, but I think she's just an enthusiastic eater. My male Merauke would eat himself to death if given the chance. Reduce feedings to 2x weekly, with 2 Tbsp as your portion size. I would also reduce how much protein you're giving her, which can contribute to weight gain. She should be getting 40-50% protein, 40-50% vegetables, and 10% fruit (occasional treat). Here's some tips on mixing your skink's food for the variety and the right ratios: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue- ... kink-food/

I promise, she might act like she's going to starve to death, but that's just being dramatic. She'll be fine!
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”