Should I get a baby, juvenile, or adult?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Gatorgnash
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Should I get a baby, juvenile, or adult?

Postby Gatorgnash » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Sometime next year I will be getting a BTS (kind of torn between a Northern or a merauke), and I'm wondering at what stage in its life is the best to get it at?
Also, I have a 36x18x18 enclosure that I'll be using for the skink. If I ended up getting a baby would that size be too big or would I put it in something smaller until it's grown larger? :noknow:
jdheff1982
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington

Re: Should I get a baby, juvenile, or adult?

Postby jdheff1982 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:01 pm

IMO, the younger, the better. Yeah, they're more expensive than adults; but, you get to watch it grow up and see what kind of character it develops. Plus, the bonding you develop with your baby is unique between you and it.

I don't have much against buying older reptiles. But it's like buying a used car, too. You need to research the adult. Spend time with it and observe it. You may get lucky and get a well developed adult. Or, it might be a problem someone is trying to pass on.

Good luck!
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:42 am

I recommend you get the BT as young as possible , so long as eating well and has a healthy appetite and is very healthy, less chance of the breeder or shop ruining its long term health by feeding it on the cheap with rubbish cheap dog food .

If it's over 6 months old , I'd walk away , as a long of longer term damage to it's health can be done in it's first 6 months if it is not feed properly and healthily and not provided adequate heat and space and UV.

For little baby and juvenile BTs , a 100L tub modified to be a BT rearing tank is perfect for the first 12 months.
starscream3232
SuperNerd
SuperNerd

Postby starscream3232 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:53 am

Any age is fine to get. Babies generally cost less than adults. Adults are usually more expensive especially if the sex is confirmed. Babies are also more readily available than adults. Bts have long life spans. 25 years is common for them. The two main differences with northerns and meraukes is Northerns are always 100% captive bred while meraukes are generally imported. Also meraukes have a high humidity requirement. Best advise is to research the species you want and buy from a reputable breeder.
Greg
10.9.5 T.s. Intermedia Northern Blue Tongue Skink
1.0 T.s.s. NSW Eastern Blue Tongue Skink
3.2.7 H. gerrardii Pink tongued skink
1.1 T. nigrolutea Blotched blue tongue
0.0.1 T. Gigas evanescens merauke blue tongue
https://m.facebook.com/ribluetonguesskinks/
Gatorgnash
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Gatorgnash » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:37 pm

How do you provide heat in the plastic tubs? Do you put something between the tub and the heat mat?

Yeah I know a lot of meraukes are not cbb, I’ve been looking around. Would a merauke (as an adult) be alright in a 36x18x18?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:16 am

Gatorgnash wrote:How do you provide heat in the plastic tubs? Do you put something between the tub and the heat mat?

Yeah I know a lot of meraukes are not cbb, I’ve been looking around. Would a merauke (as an adult) be alright in a 36x18x18?

For multiple very young and juvenile lizards this is what I set up : https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 4&t=233480
For Fluffy (my current rescue , an adult water skink who was injured by an edger (I think)) I have a 5W heatpad under the 10L hospital tub she's currently in set up like this : https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 4&t=233480
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 am

Gatorgnash wrote:How do you provide heat in the plastic tubs? Do you put something between the tub and the heat mat?

I think 36x18 is too small a foot print for an adult BT, I recommend 48x24 as the foot print.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Your first? Get a baby. Get a Northern. Worth the wait and extra expense. Imports often make up the cost difference at the vet. Any stage of life would be fine, but you're not likely to find an adult northern for sale. and IMO, nothing's better than watching the little guy grow up, and you'll know where he came from.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:28 am

splashy07 wrote:Your first? Get a baby. Get a Northern. Worth the wait and extra expense. Imports often make up the cost difference at the vet. Any stage of life would be fine, but you're not likely to find an adult northern for sale. and IMO, nothing's better than watching the little guy grow up, and you'll know where he came from.

I really miss how my two were as babies, curling up and sleeping in my open up turned hand or my shirt pocket (they loved the shirt pocket), the goofyness and inquisitiveness when young.

Getting some of this now with my newest rescue - Fluffy who is only 24g and fits nicely in my hand.

Another plus of getting you BT as a baby or small juvenile under 6 months old is you can start it off in a smaller viv while and don't need the expense of a 4ft x 2ft footprint viv at the getgo.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:45 am

Nothing like watching the little buggers grow up! I could do it a thousand more times and the excitement never dulls.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”