Gender?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
871ajohnson
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Gender?

Postby 871ajohnson » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm not sure if he/she is a he or a she. Can anyone take an educated guess???? It's my first bluey and I still haven't picked out a name because I have no idea what gender. I just want to have some idea so I can pick out a name. Excuse the little pieces of hay on the floor...I store my guinea pigs hay in that room and it makes a mess!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Gender?

Postby ReptiFiles » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:37 am

It's almost impossible to accurately sex a blue tongue skink based on appearance, especially when they're young. If it's not an adult yet, wait until it has stopped growing and then take it to the vet for professional sexing. You can also go the more patient route and assume female unless it drops sperm plugs (strings of mucus-like substance deposited with poo), which indicates male.

If you have a friend with a BTS of a confirmed gender, you can put them in a large enclosure together for a few minutes to see how they interact with VERY CLOSE SUPERVISION. If they are both male, they will charge and attempt to fight. If they are both female, they will probably ignore each other unless one gets in the other's space. If one is female and one is male, the male will likely try to mate with her while she acts submissive/tries to escape. However, this method isn't 100% accurate — I did this with my Merauke and a friend's confirmed male, and my skink acted submissive. A few months later he dropped sperm plugs. :lol: And like I mentioned earlier, this can lead to severe injury for one or both skinks without strict supervision.
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Gender?

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:46 am

I think its got some key features of being a girl.

Males have a larger and more triangular head, a thicker tail base, slimmer sides and a huskier throat than females. An important part of mating in skinks is the male bites the female on the neck / shoulder to hold her while positioning himself to do the deed.

If you only have the one skink and don't have plans of mating it, it's sex is neither here nor there as both can become wonderful and affectionate companion pets.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”