Tips

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
amybitter
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Tips

Postby amybitter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi Blue Tongue Skink lovers,
I recently got a BTS and her name is Delilah. She is an Indonesian BTS and she is about 6 months old. I started handling her and she is very skittish, but every day she is getting better with handling. When I got her she just shed and still had some on her. One shed was stuck around her right front arm and as a result it was suffocating her arm and her arm was super swollen. She could've lost her arm if I didn't take her in as soon as I got her. Her swelling went down but that arm is still fatter than her other arm and has a bump around her joint. It moves fine and works like her other legs. So my question to all of you is...
1. Do you think I should get her that arm checked out one though it seems to be fine and just looks funny?
2. What is your opinion on Indonesian because I have read some article were they say they are super skittish.
3. I would love any tips you have for me!
Thanks!!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Tips

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:46 pm

I would have a REPTILE vet check out the swollen arm , this is a serious situation if the retained shed is constricting bloodflow to and from the arm and a skilled vet should be able to remove the constriction using a special tool.

I can't comment on Indo BTS other than a lot of them are very traumatized when illegally taken from the wild and trafficked (most never survive being smuggled out of Indonesia in very bad conditions hidden in luggage and postal items , to far off countries like the USA and the EU nations). If he's wild caught and been smuggled/trafficked you need to take your time to earn his trust and to tame him.
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiFiles » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:24 pm

1) Did you take Delilah to the vet about the swollen arm issue? I would get that checked out by a certified reptile veterinarian as soon as possible, just to be safe.

2) I have a Northern and a Merauke Indonesian, and my Merauke is definitely less handleable than the Northern, but I wouldn't exactly call him "skittish." He just doesn't particularly care for my existence aside from giving him food and taking him out for some free-roam time. :lol:

3) Can you post a pic of her so we can confirm her species? Different BTS species have slightly different care requirements. Aside from that I would recommend reading as many posts as you can here on the forums, check out BlueTongueSkink.org, join Blue Tongue Skink Hobbyists on Facebook, and read through the care guide mentioned in my signature. I hope you like reading! :P
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
amybitter
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby amybitter » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:27 pm

IMG_6366.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiFiles » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:24 am

Looks like a classic Indonesian, Tiliqua gigas gigas.
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”