Tips for maintaining humidity?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Wafflecone
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Tips for maintaining humidity?

Postby Wafflecone » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie skink owner looking for some advice. I live in a very dry climate and I've been having trouble keeping the humidity at a reasonable level in my skink's tank. Right now, I am using moss, misting the tank several times a day, and keeping an additional shallow dish of water in the tank. I use aspen substrate. The tank is still very dry when I return home at the end of the day.

I live in a studio apartment in the city with a large open space and no separate rooms in which I can run a humidifier (such as the machines from Vicks used to help with coughs).

Any advice or tips help, and thank you very much! This site has really proven to be an invaluable resource for new skink owners like me!
LeadedCactus83
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Tips for maintaining humidity?

Postby LeadedCactus83 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:52 pm

What kind of skink do you have? What humidity levels are you aiming for? Do you have a humid hide set up?
Aspen shouldn't be used for skinks that need higher humidity. If you're looking for higher humidity, switch to cypress mulch or coco husk.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”