Is my skink going through brumation or dying?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
carly227
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Is my skink going through brumation or dying?

Postby carly227 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:24 am

I've had my bluey, Razzie, for about a month or two now and since Sunday (its Tuesday now) he hasn't moved. He was doing really well, eating fine, pooping, exploring the house, and cuddling. The temp on the warm side is about 85 and on the cool side is about 75. He is under one of the hides on the cool side all buried in his substrate with just his nose sticking out. He usually makes little whistle noises and explores a lot. He has been silent with his eyes closed like he's sleeping. I've spent most of the past few days in my room near his tank (a 40-gallon breeder) and he hasn't moved for water or to go to the warm side. I've touched him once to be sure he was still alive, I just pet his nose until he made a little noise. That was yesterday. He's not interested in food. I understand this is all common during brumation, and I read the care sheet about it but the fact that he hasn't moved at all does concern me a bit.

He's a year and a half old if that helps. Not sure if boy, we just say he.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Is my skink going through brumation or dying?

Postby Janella » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:21 pm

What type of skink is he? The basking side temp seems low. Where are you located? It could be just brumation. Also why is his nose and eye red?
carly227
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby carly227 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:43 am

His nose and eye were red when I got him he was in a super dusty substrate before. I'm located in New Hampshire he just got cold here. He is northern. I'm just worried because he hasn't moved in days now.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:15 am

My guess is that he is settling down for his brumation. Just keep an eye on him. I also would absolutely raise your basking temp more, should be around 95-100. It looks like you also you aspen for substrate. Is that right? How is your skink doing on that? Aspen is usually dry and dusty. Sometimes they do better on substrates that can hold humidity better. Good luck and keep me posted.
carly227
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby carly227 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:41 am

I'll keep an eye on him, he makes little noises at night, but isn't active. I was thinking of switching over to ecoearth instead of aspen I did notice it being a bit dusty but he seems happy with it.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:14 am

Are you sure he's a northern? I've had problems with dryness when using aspen for my northerns, and if ne is anything else aspen is a complete no-no. My adult northerns are going into brumation now, I live in the northeast and this is common practice.
carly227
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby carly227 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:26 am

I was told he was northern. I didn't get him from a breeder though, I adopted him from a family that could no longer keep him, after wanting one for a while. This is what he looks like. Would ecoearth be better, or do you recommend something else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:55 am

That's an Irian Jaya.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:46 pm

He is an Indonesian species, absolutely no aspen. Repti-bark, coco fiber, or cypress mulch recommended. Humidity needs to be kept over 60. Temps should be higher also, no need for brumation if not breeding. If he decides to bromate on his own, retain the high temps anyway. He looks to have been a bit neglected, and if he was being kept as a northern his humidity requirements have not been met, which can lead to respiratory and other issues.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Glad the more experienced BTS responded. Definitely agree.
carly227
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby carly227 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:16 am

I put him onto coconut fiber and made a humid hide for him and I spray it down daily. He doesn’t burrow in it as much as the aspen but the redness cleared up and his nasal passageways aren’t whistly anymore. When offered food he ate and drank and pooped like normal and went back to sleep. I’m pretty sure it is just brumation. Thank you to everyone who helped!!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:20 am

That is wonderful news. Glad he is doing better.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:41 am

Very happy you came here for advice, so many of these wonderful lizards are mis-represented and therefore given improper care. Best of luck with your new pet.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”