Swollen throat? :(

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
mochimom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Swollen throat? :(

Postby mochimom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:14 pm

Hello again!

I have a few hyper-active mom questions. :P

Firstly; I'm a bit concerned about my lil' halmahera boy. He's a little bit of a brat, but that's okay. I love him anyway. But he is getting a little bit of a swollen neck-- or so I think. It looks a little larger/wider than usual. I've gently poked at it and it doesn't feel hard or anything concerning, and he didn't huff or nip at me when I did. (He's never even tried to bite me.) His poop is a little runny and he seems to be a sneezing every so often. He also just finished a shed.

I currently feed him organic wet dog food. Its a Thanksgiving one, so it has turkey, apple, and a few other things in it. I also give him blueberries with it sometimes.

These pictures were taken a few weeks ago:

and these were taken today:

Again, it might just be me being super hyper-aware of him, but I'd like some opinions!

ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Swollen throat? :(

Postby splashy07 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:30 am

I do not see anything abnormal. When my males gain a little extra weight they all get this look about them.
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiFiles » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:26 am

Agreed, I don't see anything abnormal. It's quite common for well-fed skinks to start developing "jowls" after they hit maturity. The sneezing is also normal as long as there's no discharge, and occasional runny poo just means that the skink is well-hydrated. Consistently runny poo, accompanied with a particularly foul odor, can indicate a parasite problem.
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:23 pm

Agreed to everyone else. Looks good. Make sure to also provide a wide variety of veggies and dark leafy greens to the diet also

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”