Which one?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Classy
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Which one?

Postby Classy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:48 am

Hey guys! I'm thinking of buying a BTS but I'm not sure which sub species I should buy. I like the northern a lot, but if you have any suggestions please tell me. I currently own a panther chameleon, bearded dragons, and a tortoise.
Janella
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Which one?

Postby Janella » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:12 pm

I love Northerns and Merauke's both. Great BTS to have as loving companions.
splashy07
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:39 am

If it's your first go for a Northern. Worth the wait, and they're practically foolproof. Baby season is late april to mid July in the states.
ReptiFiles
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby ReptiFiles » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:01 pm

I recommend a Northern, which are entirely CB (captive bred) in the US, so they tend to be healthier and friendlier. Indonesian imports tend to be more standoffish and may have health problems right off the bat. Of course, there's always exceptions, but a Northern will be your best bet. They're also a little easier to care for, as they don't need high humidity.

Glad you're researching the species before buying! :D I recommend also taking a look at this care guide: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue- ... are-sheet/
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
kingofnobbys
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 pm

I have two easterns and they are really sweet natured towards us and we've never had a drama with them (about 8 yrs old now , been housed separately since about 6 months old).

We live in the natural range of easterns and see wild ones in our garden and yard each year too.
splashy07
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby splashy07 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:40 am

Easterns are extremely expensive here in the states, and are most often only exchanged between breeders, as most pet keepers are unwilling to pay the price. I currently have two unrelated pairs which will be of age next season, and if not all spoken for may be willing to offer a few babies. Completely agree you couldn't have a better pet. I find them a bit calmer than the well known placidity of the Northerns.
Classy
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Classy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I've decided on a Northern based on my own research and what you guys say. I set up my enclosure last week and made sure temps and all that stuff is good. Tomorrow is a massive reptile expo and I'm going to go and pick one out. Hopefully they will have one! :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”