Help? Blood in BTS' sperm plug?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Liopleurodon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Help? Blood in BTS' sperm plug?

Postby Liopleurodon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi there!

I've had my blue tongue for almost a year in February now, and beginning of September/end of August, was when he, my blue tongue, began his 'heat' I guess. He's been giving sperm plugs ever since then. Now since it's beginning of November now, he hasn't stopped giving sperm-plugs which I'm a bit concerned, since I thought max it was supposed to last around 8 weeks- it's been two whole months now.

Just today, I found blood mixed with his sperm plug, and I'm quite concerned. I'm not really sure what to do, considering the vets where I live would certainly not know what to do with a more exotic animal like a BTS, but I'm also not sure if this requires a vet yet. He's not bleeding profusely or anything, this was just some slight blood mixed with his sperm plug I've noticed- and only today. This hasn't happened at all before. Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? I'm thinking maybe he scratched himself on something, but, there's no external injuries as far as I've examined. I've tried gently pressing around his belly/bum area, and he didn't seem to be in pain, just gave his usual huffs.

Also note: he is my only BTS, and my first one; I do not own any other lizards, or pets.

Anyway, please let me know if any of you guys know anything about this. I've tried looking around, but alas I've found nothing on this topic really...

Thanks!
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Help? Blood in BTS' sperm plug?

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:10 pm

I strongly recommend going to a vet.
Liopleurodon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Help? Blood in BTS' sperm plug?

Postby Liopleurodon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:51 pm

Update:

I've been monitoring him closely, and today when I looked at his sperm plug there was no signs of blood (no signs of blood in his feces, or urate either.) He's been acting normal, so I'm waiting to see if his behaviour changes, or if there is more blood before taking him to a vet.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”