Black or white PVC enclosure?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Leigti
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Black or white PVC enclosure?

Postby Leigti » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:59 pm

I plan on getting a PVC enclosure from animal plastics. I would like to hear from other people who have these enclosures, what do you think about them? And does it matter if I get black or white? Would my skink feel more secure in a black one? And should I request extra ventilation holes?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Black or white PVC enclosure?

Postby splashy07 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:10 am

I currently have both, and am changing the white ones out for black. They stain too easily, especially with the bark type substrate they always look dirty. I got the white ones real cheap from a friend who was downsizing and I needed the real estate at the time. Black ones on order! I don't think it makes a bit of a difference to your pet, just a matter of personal choice.
vana
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby vana » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:59 pm

I got a white one from animal plastics so the walls will reflect light. This makes it look brighter and more cheerful inside. No regrets there.

My skink seems to like the AP cage (I got a 48x30 one) and their service was very good. They installed the lights and heating elements free.

However, if I were to do it again, I would probably not get a PVC cage. It had some pretty nasty plastic fumes. I do not know if they have gone away entirely yet (the aspen bedding is stronger smelling) but it was pretty bad for a while. I let it air out for WEEKS first. The skink appears pretty happy in it though now. That is the only drawback of the otherwise nice AP cage. I wish they would use a different material!!! I did not know it would stink like that before I got it.

If I were you, I would look at a cage made of HDPE plastic or something other than PVC for this reason.
Leigti
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Leigti » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. You have good points. I will keep researching. I do like the fact that the white reflects light nicely. I haven’t decided which type of substrate I’m going with yet. I keep switching. I’m leaning towards Aspen bedding and then making a human hide. I don’t know what HDPE is. I will look into that.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Your substrate should be decided by what type of skink you have. If you have an Indonesian you can not use aspen, I even found it to be too dry for my Northerns and Easterns. I have 8 API cages and never had the issue previously discussed. That would definitely be a concern to me, though.
Leigti
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Leigti » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:02 pm

I have a northern so I’m thinking I might use Aspen but haven’t decided yet.
If the enclosure is 18 inches tall wooden Arcadia 12% bulb be too Strong? I have a high output fixture, so would the 6% be better?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”