Mites

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Jnicotina1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Mites

Postby Jnicotina1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:20 am

Guys. I know I’m posting so much but there are just so many things about my BTS baby boy that are stressing me out and worrying me. I still have my vet appt tomorrow, so that’s good.

However- New concern (in addition to my old, still). I noticed he has mites. Or what I’m assuming are mites. Which is weird because I checked him everyday since I got him for mites and haven’t seen them until now (2 weeks later). Has there ever been a case of mites coming from a bag of cypress mulch? Because I don’t know where they came from! They’re huge..I definitely would have noticed them before. However, since I’ve suspected the RI (and now possible MI??!!) he has been borrowing more than usual.

Anyway, I plan on treating the kite problem after work today. (I’m so stressed over my baby I’m missing my post work grad class to address this issue). However, I heard that everything must come out of the tank. BUT if my baby is intact sick with an RI (we’ll find out tomorrow), how will just paper towel hold humidity up in the tank?? Any advice will be helpful. Maybe share how you felt with mites, if you have?

Also, I tried to message Susann concerning MI but I’m not sure I am working these PM’s right?? The message is in my outback rather than sent. Can someone please assist!! Lol sorry guys, still pretty new to this site.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Mites

Postby splashy07 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:34 pm

How did you do at the vet? I have to say, one time a few years back I swear I got mites from a bag of substrate, so I no longer buy substrate from stores that sell livestock. I order online from Pet Mountain, Foster and Smith, or other online companies that just stock supplies and not animals. Reptile/pet shops often store their substrate in back of the store where sometimes sick animals are kept, and a rogue mite would absolutely love to lay her eggs in a warm damp bag of substrate, which usually has microscopic holes in it to let the air out. There are other types of mites though, which are totally harmless, often materializing in substrate. Your vet should have been able to sort this out. Your skink was most likely an import, and often times come in with mites, and if treated by the pet shop, retailer, jobber, etc. it is usually just a quick one time treatment that will not eradicate all of them, or their eggs. As far as humidity you can put a large water bowl in the cage and cover the top leaving just a hole for the lamp, assuming it is a screen top. Indonesian skinks are 99 percent imported, and many come in with RIs and parasites. Many are often misrepresented by the sellers, telling prospective buyers they were 'captive bred'. Let me know how the vet visit went.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”