Need help identifying my skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
araquanid
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Need help identifying my skink

Postby araquanid » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:01 pm

I recently got myself a skink and he's been a bit of a handful. Quite feisty and huffy and puffy. I thought it might be because he's still a baby/settling in, but recently I've been wondering if he's not the kind of skink I thought. I bought him thinking he was a northern, but perhaps he is a tanimbar? I don't know how to tell the difference, but I've heard that they're more temperamental. Does anyone know the difference and can you tell me weather he is a northern or tanimbar? Much appreciated!

And if he is a tanimbar (or just feisty) any tips on helping the taming process in general and about how long do you think it might take for him to mellow down?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Karbon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Need help identifying my skink

Postby Karbon » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:23 am

Hi there!

Not really sure what species he might be but I think tanimbar is likely because of the lighter coloration on the sides on his sides. Northerns seems to almost always have dark striping on their sides.
I'm sure someone else would know more concretely.

As for taming - I would make sure when you pick him up, if you can, come in through the side of the cage and not the top like you're looming over him.
Make sure to handle him once a day so he can get used to you, even if he is a little hissy.
It could take a few weeks or a few months depending on him, but getting him used to being handled is the key.

Babies are also usually more feisty than adults and should calm down as they get older as long as you handle them regularly.

Good luck! :D
starscream3232
SuperNerd
SuperNerd

Postby starscream3232 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Almost looks like caramel northern. Better pics will help with identification.
Greg
10.9.5 T.s. Intermedia Northern Blue Tongue Skink
1.0 T.s.s. NSW Eastern Blue Tongue Skink
3.2.7 H. gerrardii Pink tongued skink
1.1 T. nigrolutea Blotched blue tongue
0.0.1 T. Gigas evanescens merauke blue tongue
https://m.facebook.com/ribluetonguesskinks/
araquanid
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby araquanid » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Thank you for your advice. I'll try to get on contact with the breeder so I can know for sure. Thank you again :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”