Long Island, NY Reptile Expo

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Long Island, NY Reptile Expo

Postby splashy07 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:29 am

Good day all, would like to invite any locals to the LI Reptile Expo on Sunday, 10/22. Come say hi to Vin and I at Cutting Edge Herpetological! Always a fun day!
aaronhouts
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Long Island, NY Reptile Expo

Postby aaronhouts » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:05 am

Hey, Splashy!
How did the show go?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Did well, seemed a bit lighter than usual but it was an exceptionally nice day for this time of year, and I guess some people didn't want to be indoors. Always a fun day and good to see everyone. The usual sad looking imports probably full of mites, and one other Northern there besides the white one we had at our table. The other one looked like it had seen better days, poor thing. Underfed juvenile.
ChunkyThunder
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ChunkyThunder » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:22 pm

I wish I had known about these boards before I went there.

I bought a baby Halmahera from Outback Reptiles because I've had good luck with the ball pythons I've gotten from them. They also had a juvi with a nose rub that we almost got but decided against.

If I knew there was someone who specializes in them there I would have definitely made the purchase from you guys.

Also did you see those people up front who keep their chameleons in deli cups? Ugh they were so stressed that they were turning black.
Last edited by ChunkyThunder on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaronhouts
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby aaronhouts » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:42 pm

splashy07 wrote:Did well, seemed a bit lighter than usual but it was an exceptionally nice day for this time of year, and I guess some people didn't want to be indoors. Always a fun day and good to see everyone. The usual sad looking imports probably full of mites, and one other Northern there besides the white one we had at our table. The other one looked like it had seen better days, poor thing. Underfed juvenile.

That's good that you had fun!
It's a shame about the show though. Seems like reptile shows have been on the decline since 08.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:20 am

Yes, it's sad. I don't even like looking around anymore, seeing cages full of things together that should only be
kept singly isn't bad enough, the mis-representation of some species is deplorable, to say the least. I'm into insects, too, and that's the only thing I ever buy there, a new pet bug or two but I've been doing better finding what I want online lately. Went home with nothing (Except two adorable baby boas I traded with Vin for) but sold all my mantises and stick bugs. The BTs there were so sad, one vendor had Meraukes labelled as Halmaheras and also had Halmaheras.
(?) You think they'd notice....and that sad looking juvi Northern right next to them probably sharing their mites. Ick.
Vin is so paranoid he takes two tables, and I take what we call "the mite table" to sell my bugs. He sprays it with bug spray and I have to put my bugs in trays! Those mites from another vendor would have a long way to go to get to his snakes! But that's the only way to be safe there. Waaaaaaay too many imports. Although sometimes upsetting, still a fun day regardless and always good to see everyone. And the freak show is better than Halloween.
aaronhouts
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby aaronhouts » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Yeah.
The worst part is that the people that have been priced out of the shows are the small independent home breeders. The people that AREN'T there as much are the tables where you could talk to the people that actually maintain the adults as pets and produce the babies. The only people that can afford to compete there now for the most part are those that deal in volume and are usually buying wholesale and not producing.
I can understand why Vin is paranoid. He has some incredible stuff. He has been a leader in the boa community for decades.
If you're in to boas, you may like these pics (which are also appropriate for Halloween.)
We were one of the first two or three people in the world to produce Snow Motleys in 2012 and Moonglow Motleys back in 2013.
In these pics, you can see a Moonglow Motley, Snow Motley, Sunglow Motley het moonglow and a Ghost Motley het Moonglow among others. All of these babies and more came from the same litter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:14 am

That is absolutely awesome!!!
aaronhouts
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby aaronhouts » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Thank you!
I was a die hard boa fan for over twenty years. After discovering BTS though, I'm sold. These guys are the ultimate!
charleschien
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby charleschien » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:24 pm

hi! I also went to the Long Island Expo as well. I was there with my friends Steve and Ralph at Leapin' Leachies. Its really rare to find any Northern BTS at the shows in the Northeast. And yes I did see that one skinny little Northern at the Kickballs fishtank display :(.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi! Love the Leapin' Leachies guys! They've got some really cool geckos. Yes, that poor Northern looked so sad with his eyes half closed and next to all those imports...if I were not deathly afraid of a mite infestation I would have rescued him. What a shame.
ChunkyThunder
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ChunkyThunder » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:45 pm

I gotta say every time I talk to the Leapin Leachie guys they've been great. I want to get a Leachie so bad and they always let me bother them with questions and conversation.... When I get one it will definitely be from them.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:46 am

I enquired about getting some, but my apartment gets too hot in summer (I don't use a/c) and it just wouldn't be
suitable for them. I was heartbroken. I wanted to start a colony. Someday, when I retire, get my own house and do this full time.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”