What substrate should I use

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Keytal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

What substrate should I use

Postby Keytal » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi guys!

Probably there was discussions about substrate here already but I thought I'd ask you about it as I am having a little problem. Recently I got a few skinks and seems I am not keeping them on the right substrate. I have read on this site that someone used bark coco fiber and top soil's mixture. I tried the same (repti bark, zoo med coco fiber and top soil) cause the exact mixture was working super good for other reptiles of mine but I am having some issues with my skinks. As I am new to skink keeping I am closely monitoring my animals if they do well, checking them every day closely one by one.

I have noticed that the top soil goes into their nose. Not for all but it is definitely a problem. I would like to ask you what kind of substrate you guys use? I read on bluetongueskink.net that carefresh and aspen shavings are the best but aren't they bad for humidity? I mean I have indonesian species so they need the humidity. I am clueless right now, hope you guys can point me to the right direction.

Thank you very much in advance.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: What substrate should I use

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:20 am

If you are worried about the top soil you can always just use a repti bark and coco bark mix. Cypress mulch is also a good option.
Piebald320
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Piebald320 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:26 am

I have been wondering the same thing. I have my boy on Eco earth and he almost always has a ring of the stuff around his nostrils! However, I'm not extremely worried because I know he only gets it on there from digging in it by choice! I'd love to hear other's thoughts on whether it could be an issue though.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 am

I'm with Erica on this one. I've tried everything under the sun and repti-bark and same mixed with coco-husk fiber is my favorite. Aspen is way too dusty and my skinks were constantly sneezing (and so was I).
Karbon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Karbon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:02 am

Cypress mulch seems to work well for me and my BTS.

The person I bought from recommended it and said it works well for her.

You can get some premium 100% cypress mulch from Lowes and Home Depot for around 3 bucks too.
Keytal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Keytal » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:49 am

Thank you very much for the advice, I will get rid of the soil somehow. Here where I live unfortunately it is almost impossible to get cypress mulch, there is pine everywhere ... I will stick to the reptibark + coco fiber then. :)
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:56 pm

I absolutely swear by Zilla Jungle Mix and then I put Reptibark on top. It holds humidity great and I have not had one single problem with my guys with it.
Keytal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Keytal » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 am

I will do the same then :)

Two more questions regarding substrate:

1.: I use some straw as well so they can burrow into it. It looks cool and the animals look very happy with it. Any suggestion about this or I can go with it as it is.
2.: I was thinking as it is autumn and there are a lot of leafs falling from the trees I could get some so my skinks can burrow into it too. They look great and would be cool for the skinks too. I know getting stuff from outside is dangerous, I always put the stuff I wanna use from outside onto the oven for 30 mins before I use them for my varanus enclosures. Is there any good way to sterilize fallen leafs?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Probably more trouble than it's worth, I'd think it would be very difficult to keep the cage clean. Most times simple works better than aesthetic with reptiles.
Keytal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Keytal » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:13 am

Alrighty, I will take the advice. Thank you very much!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”