Feeding irregularities?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Liopleurodon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Feeding irregularities?

Postby Liopleurodon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi there! I've had my blue tongue skink (he is a merauke, approximately 3-4 years old) for about almost a year now in February.

I generally feed him every 3-4 days since that's when he usually likes to eat, except recently ever since he started releasing his sperm plugs (around end of August, beginning of September) he's being eating irregularly and not every 3-4 days like he used to. He usually waits until the fifth or sixth day, sometimes a whole week too.
He usually eats chicken hearts, with spring mix, and calcium powder obviously. I usually add in some fruit, whether it be blueberries or bananas. I also feed him an egg on occasion (one time raw, one time softboiled), and I have also fed him what's called "repashy" specifically for BTS.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue, or has a solution? I know a hungry skink will eat, but at this point I'm wondering if he's just being picky hahaha. I'm also wondering with him releasing a lot of sperm plugs... if that's normal, and if male BTS don't eat as much when they are releasing sperm plugs?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Feeding irregularities?

Postby splashy07 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:17 pm

When they are 'in season', they have other things on their mind and are not thinking about food as much. I have similar issues with my male Northerns and Easterns.
Liopleurodon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Liopleurodon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:00 pm

splashy07 wrote:When they are 'in season', they have other things on their mind and are not thinking about food as much. I have similar issues with my male Northerns and Easterns.

Ah okay; thank you so much for replying!! How long does the 'season' go on for, if you know?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:27 am

Depends on species, mine average six to eight weeks. Give or take, not gospel. Sometimes conditions and presence of a female can affect this also.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”