Please help. GRAPHIC PHOTOS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Please help. GRAPHIC PHOTOS

Postby BD99 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:21 am

So, a while ago I got a baby with a large portion of tail bitten off. The bite was so severe that any hemipenis would have been mutilated.
Today I checked my bub in the morning and they were good. I just recently checked her and i’ve seen this.

This has happened within the hour.

She is acting incredibly subdued, not wanting snacks or water. I cannot get a hold of my vet and I’m unsure hat to do or where to ask these quetions.

So far I am refusing to have her on anything but a clean towel, going to change out her substrait to just paper. Keep her fluid offerings up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Please help. GRAPHIC PHOTOS

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:03 am

It appears to be a prolapse , don't let it dry and keep it clean, this is a vet emergency , and needs to attended to by a vet if it doesn't spontaneously retract.
https://en.wikivet.net/Lizard_Cloacal_Prolapse
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile ... om-Cloaca/
Please don’t wait. Find a herp veterinarian who can help you with your lizard, and the sooner, the better. That tissue protruding can become necrotic and die, causing a dangerous bacterial infection, sepsis or other life-threatening infection and toxin release. This is always a serious situation requiring the assistance of a herp veterinarian. Good luck with your lizard.

And see ZPYV0170/BeardedDragon.pdf
Treatment.Clean the exposed tissue with saline or diluted chlorhexidine solution,removing any superficial crust that may have formed.
Edema can be reduced by hypertonic saline,sugar solutions or glycerin,and gentle pressure.
Once the swelling is reduced,use a lubricated cotton-tipped swab or blunt probe to return the tissue to its normal orientation.In some cases,sedation or general anesthesia may be helpful.Devitalized tissue may require resection.

After the prolapse is reduced,place a purse-string suture around the cloaca or place transverse cloacal sutures.(Use a local anesthetic if general anesthesia was not used for reduction of the prolapse.) This will decrease the size of the opening to prevent repeat tissue prolapse,but will leave just enough space for urine to pass.
Antibiotics and antiinflammatories are warranted. Keep the pet well hydrated;however,do not feed in order to prevent production of more feces and defecation through the sutured vent.Remove the sutures in 3 to 5 days and resume feeding.
Prognosis.If the cause of the prolapse is not identified and resolved,there is a good chance that the prolapse will happen again.Prognosis depends on the underlying cause,condition of the patient,and viability and duration of the prolapsed tissue.
110....................................................................................................................................................NAVC Clinician’s Brief / November 2010 /What’s theTake-Home?
TAKE-HOME MESSAGE
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:33 am

My vet is closed tonight. We are planning to het in tomorrow morning.

I’ve put her in bare minimum ornaments in her enclosure. Her hide and a rock along with her waterdish. The enclosure was cleaned out and now only newspaper is there.
She appears to have peed again, so its a second change.

I’ve kept the area as clean as I can.

I’m not sure what else to do overnight.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:53 am

BD99 wrote:My vet is closed tonight. We are planning to het in tomorrow morning.

I’ve put her in bare minimum ornaments in her enclosure. Her hide and a rock along with her waterdish. The enclosure was cleaned out and now only newspaper is there.
She appears to have peed again, so its a second change.

I’ve kept the area as clean as I can.

I’m not sure what else to do overnight.

Try the vet's afterhours emergency number. They will likely have someone in the clinic (looking after other animals overnight and will if it's necessary call in a vet to deal with emergencies).

Good luck.

if not try some Atrauman Sterile Non-Adhesive Dressings 5cm x 5cm (a dressing can be cut to size) , I think these can be bought at any chemist's shop , as well as gauss non adhesive dressings to wrap around her rear end , held in place with hypafix .
http://www.brightsky.com.au/BrightSkyPr ... ssing.aspx
the chemist will advise based on what they have on stock,.... no adhesive dressing in contact with the skink's skin.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”