Baby Blue Tongue HELP!!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Evaughan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Baby Blue Tongue HELP!!

Postby Evaughan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:08 am

So I've had my baby blue tongue Dino for about 3 weeks and i have fallen head over heels for him. He is such a sweet, curious, and interesting reptile! I do have a few questions that I wasn't able to find answers to in past subjects here, and was wondering if anybody could help me out. (I also posted a little picture of Dino because why not? :lol: )

What does dehydration look like in a skink?

What does stuck shed look like, and what happens if he does get stuck shed?

What is the best kind of enclosure to use in a location with limited humidity?

What dimension enclosure is Dino going to need when he is full grown?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Baby Blue Tongue HELP!!

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:52 pm

It's not easy to see if they are dehydrated but if they are producing urine and urates, you're fine. Stuck shed looks like shed stuck to the reptile. Or like a piece of dead skink attached to the scales. You can treat stuck shed by bathing your skink or waiting for its next shed. I heard the wood enclosures and acrylic enclosures keep humidity well. If you have a screen top and the water vapor is escaping, you can put tin foil on it to cover the screen. When your skink is full grown they will need AT LEAST, at the VERY VERY LEAST a 36x18x18 enclosure (it's fairly small so I definitely recommend a bigger enclosure)
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Re: Baby Blue Tongue HELP!!

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Congrats on the baby

Baby blueys are more susceptible to dehydration than adults. Symptoms are general lethargy, sunken eyes and thinning at the base of the tail.

Generally if they have a readily accessible source of clean water they will work it out themselves. Dehydration can occur if a bluey is ill, or some environmental factor like being too cold for too long and not getting up to drink.

IJ's have some requirement for humidity but I'll leave that to experienced IJ keepers to comment.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”