Is he actually a he? Seminal plugs?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Marmar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Is he actually a he? Seminal plugs?

Postby Marmar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:34 am

Hello everyone. I have my relatively new halmehera on paper towels current because I am treating him for mites. Since he has been on paper towels I keep finding these dried up white piece in his cage every now and then. My question, are these seminal plugs that have dried up? Or are they urates? Can they urate without actually pooping because I keep finding these by themselves with no poop in the cage at all. He is only about 7-8 months. Do they drop seminal plugs that early? And around this month/season? Sorry for the relatively gross nature of this topic but I figured if I can find out if he is actually a he then might as well ask. Thank you! :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Is he actually a he? Seminal plugs?

Postby splashy07 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:40 am

Looks like plain old urates to me, would be quite hard to see sperm plugs on towels as they are more of a translucent stringy type thing. Next time I see one I'll post a picture, at times I catch them fresh. If not, they dry up and practically disappear. I had a northern drop one at five months. Sometimes you can see them evert their "boy parts" while going to the bathroom, but it's quick and you'd have to catch them in the act.
Marmar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Marmar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:04 pm

splashy07 wrote:Looks like plain old urates to me, would be quite hard to see sperm plugs on towels as they are more of a translucent stringy type thing. Next time I see one I'll post a picture, at times I catch them fresh. If not, they dry up and practically disappear. I had a northern drop one at five months. Sometimes you can see them evert their "boy parts" while going to the bathroom, but it's quick and you'd have to catch them in the act.

So they can urate without pooping as Well? Because all of these were found with no poop in the cage at all. And I have tried to look for his "boy parts" when he goes to the bathroom, he poops out of his cage for the most part so 8/10 time I see him do it, though, I don't really know what I'm looking for. And do they always evert it or is it just sometimes?
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:41 pm

They can drop urates without dropping feces. They don't always pop out when they use the bathroom.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:23 am

No, they don't. But that is the only time you can hope to see them.
Ohgeez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Ohgeez » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:35 pm

If it helps, here's a picture of my skinks plugs next to his urate :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marmar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Marmar » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Ohgeez wrote:If it helps, here's a picture of my skinks plugs next to his urate :)

This is extremely helpful thank you!!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”