Please help me identify the sub-species!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
lucy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Please help me identify the sub-species!

Postby lucy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Hello!
I am brand new to this forum and was wondering if anybody could help me identify the subspecies of the blue tongued skinks in the attached picture taken by the seller (genders unknown and age approx 4/5 months but they are siblings)!
I am bringing one of these little ones home soon, but first I need to have the vivarium set up and temperature-tested. To do this I feel like it would be important to know the subspecies so that I can have the correct temperatures/humidity levels/bedding and whatever else for that particular breed!

I live in the UK, and the seller told me this:
"They came from the breeder as 'tiliqua scincoides sp.' so unfortunately I don't have the sub species. They will be Indonesian though as its rare to find true Australian blue tongues now."

I'm just not convinced by his statement and wanted to be sure if anyone could help I would appreciate it so much! Thank you :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Evaughan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Please help me identify the sub-species!

Postby Evaughan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:53 am

They kind of look just like my blue tongue skink Dino, who is a halmahera. I am by no means a skink identifing expert though. :doh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 am

Pretty sure they are Irian Jayas since they don't have a species name yet and are listed as tiliqua scincoides sp.
lucy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lucy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Thank you so much for your responses!
I will post more photos when he/she finally comes home, for a better view of size/colour/belly etc.
So do you think it probably isn't Indonesian?
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 pm

It's Indonesian.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:32 am

Irian Jaya or IJ x Merauke, either way not scincoides but gigas. Indonesian subspecies.
lucy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lucy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:56 am

Hello again! I now have my little friend (I call him my son for amusement :lol: though I'm not sure I'll ever know the gender so I've just decided he's a boy) still no name as of yet.

He has been spending most of the day in the hide at the hot end and has only explored a little when I gently removed the hide so he could see I was putting food down. Still hasn't touched it though :( will he be able to smell that there's food by smelling the air from inside the hide at the other end of the viv? I don't know much about how strong their sense of smell is!

I know he needs time to adjust which is why I'm not bothering him and am simply quietly sitting a metre or so from the viv. Just an over-worrier haha.
Got a good pic of him while he was out before he ran back into that rock you see in the first picture! Not sure if they're better pictures to identify him or not!
He's now had his first night and temperature drop and still no food eaten or water drank. I've changed the water again this morning and was planning to redo his food after 24hrs of it sitting in his viv, just to give him a chance.
I'm really worried he's not going to be getting enough uvb d3 or calcium if he continues the way he has done all yesterday and last night. What if it takes months for him to come out on his own? (I.e. WITHOUT me moving his hot end hide to force him to be out for a couple mins)
Edward
Carpe diem
Carpe diem

Postby Edward » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:24 am

Congratulations on your new little friend!

And for what it's worth, it's a Tiliqua gigas something
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”