Lighting/Heating

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Heidi
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Lighting/Heating

Postby Heidi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:21 am

Hello to this forum!! I recently purchased my bluey this week and I recieved the lil guy in shed. I have a problem with my heat.

The thermostat temperature in the basking area claims it is only reaching 30 degrees celsius but I have a 150watt intense basking heat bulb?? I also have a solar glo UVB and heat mercury bulb 125watt but that was only achieving 26 degrees before I got him. The bulb is inside the tank being held by a socket. I have a dome for the outside but it wasnt achieving nearly as much heat! The top of the tank is mesh and it is a 60cm tall enclosure. The cool end also claims to be 25 degrees celsius. Any ideas? Humidity is too reaching 70% at night (30-40 during the day) as the temp drops and my bts is an eastern. I guess it helps with the shed but was wondering if that is too

I have done all my research so dont understand why 150watt doesnt seem to be strong enough. The basking spot is hot but withstandable so it might be okay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
splashy07
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: Lighting/Heating

Postby splashy07 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:15 am

Is your tank glass with screen top? If so (I used to use these, now I have all PVC enclosures) I would cover half the screen with foil to keep the heat in. Glass caging does not hold heat well especially when screen covers are used. I have Easterns too and humidity is between 50 and 70 and they are fine with that.
Marmar
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Re: Lighting/Heating

Postby Marmar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:55 am

What kind of thermostat are you using? That could be a big part of it. Analog/Dial thermostats are not very accurate. The probe thermostats are better but just be safe I use a digital lazer thermostat. Those are extremely accurate and you can get them for around $15-$20. :thumbs:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”