Please Help Identify this BTS!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueyBliss
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Please Help Identify this BTS!

Postby BlueyBliss » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi all,

New here! I was at a huge reptile expo this weekend and stumbled across a single adult BTS that was being sold as a captive-bred Northern by a custom enclosures vendor that had only four other hodgepodge reptiles for sale. (I had gone looking for Northerns as I fell in love with a previous boyfriend's BTS). The seller said that it was living on walnut shells with a diet of "crickets and mealworms" and no source of humidity. Not too great. I ended up checking him/her out and it was a gorgeous, healthy animal regardless (minus one toe)! I now have it set up in a 60 x 14 x 18" enclosure on some walnut shell the seller gave (I will be switching to a cypress mulch, moss, soil blend in a couple weeks once the BTS is acclimated).

I am thinking that it's an Indo or at least a Gigas species? I'm having the toughest time deciphering. Has speckled legs and a cantaloupe orange under the chin and front (haven't handled to see full belly yet) with the same coloring on the sides of the neck. Sold as 2-3 years old and is 18.5 inches (47 cm). Want to know its subspecies so I can give it the best set up possible + I'm dying of curiosity!

Thanks for any help! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
starscream3232
SuperNerd
SuperNerd

Re: Please Help Identify this BTS!

Postby starscream3232 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:02 pm

That is a merauke tiliqua gigas evanescens. Looks like they made the correct enclosure improvements. The original owner must’ve not had him that long to be in that good of condition.
Greg
10.9.5 T.s. Intermedia Northern Blue Tongue Skink
1.0 T.s.s. NSW Eastern Blue Tongue Skink
3.2.7 H. gerrardii Pink tongued skink
1.1 T. nigrolutea Blotched blue tongue
0.0.1 T. Gigas evanescens merauke blue tongue
https://m.facebook.com/ribluetonguesskinks/
BlueyBliss
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueyBliss » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:07 pm

Thank you for your help!
Last edited by BlueyBliss on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueyBliss
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueyBliss » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:01 pm

starscream3232 wrote:That is a merauke tiliqua gigas evanescens. Looks like they made the correct enclosure improvements. The original owner must’ve not had him that long to be in that good of condition.

Thank you for your help! That's what I was thinking, too, since the animal is so healthy. Could you explain the distinction you see? I'd love to develop a better eye for spotting a Merauke vs an Indo. :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”