New to BTS and have a couple questions

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Marmar
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

New to BTS and have a couple questions

Postby Marmar » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:25 am

Hello everyone! I am new to the community and excited to be a part of it. I read a lot of forums on this page before getting my blue tongue skink so I could be more educated. With that being said I have questions that are specific towards mine.
So here is the download, I bought mine (his name is Fitz Gerald) at a local reptile shop that has many different types of reptiles. The guy who owns the shop said he is a Halmahera, which I believe. He had a decent amount of information on him. He said he gets them from someone in Florida (I live in California), he said it was a captive bred and that he was 6 months old. After doing more research I have found out that most Halmaheras are not captive bred and are wild caught or captive born. Does anyone here know if captive born Halmaheras are becoming more common or are most wild caught? With that being said after i brought him home, after about 2 or 3 days i noticed he had mites, I am in the process of fully eradicating them. On top of that I noticed he looks pretty skinny due to his hip bones showing. (Though after looking at more pictures of Halmaheras it almost seems like they have a smaller tail base than northerns, maybe someone can enlighten me on that). Is him being skinny a possible sign of parasites? Possibly to him being wild caught? I dont think the shop owner was trying to doop me or just sell an unhealthy animal because he gave me a warranty on him. So if something happened i could bring him in or return him which I do not want to do, I love him already!

Other than that he is a great skink! He has a pretty good temperament. He has never fully hissed, opened his mouth, or struck at me. He will run around his cage for a couple seconds and huff a little when I go to pick him up, but once he is out he completely calms down and usually crawls around my arms and neck. He eats perfectly fine and has no problem there. For temps and humidity he has a hot side of about 85 with a basking spot of 90-98 and a cool side of 70-75. The night time temps are usually 65-70. I spray down his cage at night and in the morning. I turn off all lighting and heat at night so that way the humidity can stay up at around 70-80%. And during the day since the heat and light are on the humidity drops to usually 50%. Is that fluctuation good? I have read some places that said that is good for them though I have not found a definitive answer on that.

Sorry the post was so long! I just had a lot to get out. I am definitely being an over protective father :? . I just want a good life for my boy.
Thanks everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: New to BTS and have a couple questions

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Most Indonesians are imported since it's easier and legal. There is nothing wrong with an imported one (they might be a bit more feisty and stressed), but I would take it to the vet to see if it has parasites.
The way to a skink's heart, is through its stomach :lol:

Blog :ohyes: : https://reptianimalea.blogspot.com/
Marmar
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Re: New to BTS and have a couple questions

Postby Marmar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Do you happen to know if he is in fact a Halmahera? And how are my temps and humiditiy?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”