Merauke Blue Tongued Skink, cat/dog food

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Steve88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Merauke Blue Tongued Skink, cat/dog food

Postby Steve88 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:58 pm

I just recently purchased a 6 month old Merauke Blue Tongued Skink. It looks beautiful, though it is hissing at me a lot. Maybe it will settle down. My big concern is in 3 days, it hasn't eaten anything. I've offered Blue Buffalo wet dog food, hard boiled eggs, collared greens, apple, strawberry, and green beans. (as well as a few crickets). I have yet to see the skink eat. The person I purchased it from said to feed it wet cat food, not wet dog food, as it makes a big difference. Are there any brands of wet cat food you recommend? I just want to get it eating, no matter what i have to do, and then I can add more variety. And tips highly appreciated.
JRbeast
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Merauke Blue Tongued Skink, cat/dog food

Postby JRbeast » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:17 pm

It prob just needs a few days to aclimate to its new home but some foods to try r Evo 95,Wellness Core,and Halo Spots stew r mostly what i use just dont get fish flavors and some owners r avoiding red meat flavors right now.
Steve88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Steve88 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Thanks! I used a spoon and was able to get my blue tongue to drink a little water, which the skink had not done yet. I put a little cat food in the water and the skink got a little of it. I still want the skink to eat more but the fact that the skink ate or drank anything is a positive step.
JRbeast
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby JRbeast » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Ya keep tryin ,the smell of wet cat food usually will get their stomachs rumblin.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:05 pm

I see these inquiries often, about what types of food, so I thought I'd share some of my skinks favorites..if the food seems too wet I mix in the dry fruits and vegetables. They love it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Steve88 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks for showing the types of food you use, that helps. I did see my blue tongue eat a little cat food the other day. I think the skink is still skittish and eats some when I am not there. But the skink looks healthier and is moving better than a few days ago after I received him or her. The skink is still wary and skittish but not as bad as a few days ago. Haven't tried holding the blue tongue yet but hopefully will soon.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”