FRUIT FLYS IN TANK NEED HELP

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Bluetongueskinkguy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

FRUIT FLYS IN TANK NEED HELP

Postby Bluetongueskinkguy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi, I just replaced my blue tongue skinks substrate and cleaned everything in the tank including the tank due to mites in the wood chips and now it's the next day and the tank has easily 50 fruit flys and I know they are because I just had a huge outbreak of them in my house and I thought they were all gone but I guess not but I really need to get rid of them because I don't want him to get stressed out or sick. Please anyone with any tips or tricks about how to get them out of his tank, he is on Eco earth and aspen
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: FRUIT FLYS IN TANK NEED HELP

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:44 pm

I would put my skink in a separate tank and completely clean out its tank again (eggs).
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:39 am

If they are fruit flies and not just common gnats they will only lay their eggs on fruit, rotting vegetation, etc. You can temporarily remove your skink and make the tank as hot as you can and let it dry out. That will be uninviting to common gnats, too, which often invade the substrate if it is moist. Eco earth is like a gnat magnet, they love it. I use it in my community tank and occasionally get gnat infestations that are quickly eradicated by house spiders that wander in there. I'd switch to coco husk or repti-bark or similar that's not so gnat-friendly if it's a concern. Make sure all uneaten food is removed daily also.
Bluetongueskinkguy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Bluetongueskinkguy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:23 pm

thanks for the replies I just fed him in a separate container and just let the substrate get really dry and they just all left or died off. I switched to Eco earth and aspen because the repti bark I had wouldn't hold moisture very well and had a mite infestation so I threw it all out and completely cleaned the tank. Thanks for your help

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”