Need help identifying

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Montymike
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Need help identifying

Postby Montymike » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:29 pm

Hello everyone! I've done my research and had my cage setup before purchasing my first BTS. I was presented a deal that I couldn't pass up. This little one is so calm. Can anyone help ID this blue tongue?
Thank you.
20170916_221426.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LittlePetDirt
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Need help identifying

Postby LittlePetDirt » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Hmm... it looks like an eastern or merakue to me... It's hard to say. Is there any way you can contact the breeder and ask which species it is?
- Jaidyn :P
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Merauke or Irian Jaya
starscream3232
SuperNerd
SuperNerd

Postby starscream3232 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Merauke blue tongue tiliqua gigas evanescens. They are seldom captive bred in captivity. Looks to be in good shape. Also there's nothing eastern looking about it totally different species. Easterns are scincoides while Meraukes are gigas.
Greg
10.9.5 T.s. Intermedia Northern Blue Tongue Skink
1.0 T.s.s. NSW Eastern Blue Tongue Skink
3.2.7 H. gerrardii Pink tongued skink
1.1 T. nigrolutea Blotched blue tongue
0.0.1 T. Gigas evanescens merauke blue tongue
https://m.facebook.com/ribluetonguesskinks/
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Merauke :)
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Montymike
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Montymike » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks everyone. The person I got him from purchased this BTS from a reptile show. I dont have anymore information at the moment.

What I can say is that he always hides and hasn't eaten anything for me since I got him (1 week ago). He isnt aggressive at all though! Even after I dig him up, he just casually strolls through the cage until he finds a new spot to hide. I can pretty much guarantee he's WC, just on the way he reacts to the human presence. He literally stay's buried all day. I setup a webcam and I watch the feed from work. He comes out maybe 2 times a day to change his hiding spot. I'm assuming he just needs more time to acclimate?

His hot side is 90-95 and cool side is 73-78. The surface temp of the hot side is usually only 93.
If I put another heat lamp on top he'll have an ambient of 95 and a surface of 100-102 on the hot side. Should i stick with the slightly hotter or slightly cooler hot side?

All temperatures are measured using digital thermometers and a temp gun. I use UVA and UVB lighting.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”