Overreacting?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Overreacting?

Postby BD99 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:33 am

So. I've stumbled across these blueys and I am unsure about many things.

First off, I think that the condition on two of them is way too thin for their age (4 years old)
They are ALL kept in the same cage without UV. Just a basking light. Sex is unknown on all of them.
They are been fed on crickets and fruit with the occasional dusting.

These are the photos provided. I don't know if this is a case of crappy photos, me overreacting or suffering lizards.

Can someone set me straight on this? And if its a case of suffering lizards, can anybody direct me to a reptile rescue in Victoria, Australia?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Overreacting?

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:31 am

These skinks are in terrible condition. First off, never put more than one skink in the same enclosure unless they are both females (one male and one female work as well), the enclosure is big enough for the both of them (two water dishes, two basking spots, etc.), and if you are experienced and know what you are doing. Secondly, they need a lot of veggies, protein, and a little fruit (I usually do 50% vegetables, 40% protein, and 10% fruit). Crickets aren't that nutritious and I don't recommend them for BTS. Lastly, I believe they need some form of UVB light. Yes, they can live without it but it's not whether or not they can or cannot live without it, it's about their quality of life. They seem very small for being 4 years old. When I first saw them, I thought they were juveniles, but it might be because I have nothing to compare them to.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:32 am

I also just noticed that their nails are fairly long. Does the owner ever trim them?
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:33 pm

I don't know at all man. Just that I saw them being sold and was worried as **** for them. People go ape rescuing dogs and cats but I can't find a reptile chapter in my area, aside from the RSPCA. And I know from experience that they don't come out and do nearly enough fast enough aftee reporting dying horses.

I have 2 beautiful girls of my own, one of which is a rescue of sorts herself. I don't know the risk of trying to take these guys on, or even being in contact with them.

Whilst I know my oldest, Gidge, was always kept with other skinks until I got her and is the sweetest thing whenever she crosses paths with any of my other animals, I would NOT want to house her with any of these guys.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:09 am

They need UV , they are all easterns so 5% UVB from a 26W UVB150 or two in an reflector hood or a T8 5% or 6% UVB tube in a reflector hood.

They all need separate vivs.

Try WIRES , they may know a local reptile rescuer .

Or offer to take these BTs from the current clueless owner (as rescues) , I''d bet they all have MDB and fatty liver issues based on their current bad situation and lousey husbandry , I've even be suspicious they are all wild caught too, unfortunately easterns are so common breeders can't give them away unless they are some strange morph , I see there is an advert at APS where someone in Sydney has a breeding group for sale , started at $600 and no takers , even at $250 for the group.
Unfortunate they are in Victoria or I'd give them a home , I have two spare 4x2x2 timber vivs in the shed that aren't in use at the moment. Been hanging out for a group of water skinks or maybe netteds but they rarely some up for sale as babies here in my area (Newcastle) and I'm not willing to ship lizards or drive beyond Gosford to pick them up from breeders.

Where were they advertised ?
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:26 am

They're on Gumtree atm.
I'm driving my household insane trying to nab them and get them out of the shi**y place. Even if it was to try and release them if they prove wild caught. Or turn them over to rspca.

They were listed at an insane price but I think its a slip up on numbers. I'm hoping to negotiate that down.

Is WIRES a member or group on this forum? Or is it something I'll need to google?
LittlePetDirt
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby LittlePetDirt » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:39 pm

These blue tongue skinks are definitely not being cared for corrrectly. First off, they are very thin. Most of your average insects don't have very much nutritional value and blurts also need to eat vegetables on a regular basis.
I believe UVB is a must for every reptile in order to digest their food properly.
The nails also look incredibly long.
These skinks have been quite mistreated and they are in pretty bad condition.
Hope this helped!
- Jaidyn :P

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”