New member, enclosure critique requested

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Leigti
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New member, enclosure critique requested

Postby Leigti » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:32 pm

Hello, I am a new member here on this forum. Earlier this week I got a three-month-old northern BTS. I named him or her Dobby. At what age can you tell if they are male or female? For now I am just saying "he". Here he is and this is his enclosure. How does it look? Any suggestions on improvement?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: New member, enclosure critique requested

Postby BD99 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:25 am

G'day mate.
In Australia, herp vets identify by putting a special dye up their clacker and then using a light to see if the ink surrounds a penis or not as far as I know.
Body shape and behaviour isn't reliable at all.
Leigti
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Leigti » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:03 am

Well, I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm still going to call him Dobby even if he ends up being a girl.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:38 am

What's they humidity and temperatures? Northerns need 25%-40% humidity and 95-100 for basking and 72-82 degrees Fahrenheit for its cool side. Also, what substrate are you using? It looks like aspen shavings. Aspen can be a bit dry so watch out for dry scales on your lizard. Other than that, your skink looks healthy and your set up is great. I hope you enjoy your skink! They are an absolute joy to own :)
Leigti
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Leigti » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:09 pm

EricaLikeBurrito wrote:What's they humidity and temperatures? Northerns need 25%-40% humidity and 95-100 for basking and 72-82 degrees Fahrenheit for its cool side. Also, what substrate are you using? It looks like aspen shavings. Aspen can be a bit dry so watch out for dry scales on your lizard. Other than that, your skink looks healthy and your set up is great. I hope you enjoy your skink! They are an absolute joy to own :)

Well, looks like I'm pretty good on the numbers. The darker rock is 95°, The cool and is 72°. On top of the bark. The humidity along the back wall is 40%.
I have not decided if I'm going to keep using the Aspen. I might try for bark or cypress mulch. Haven't decided yet.
He hasn't eaten yet, I've had him since Wednesday. I'm feeding the same thing the breeder did. Should I be worried yet?
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Both fir bark and cypress mulch are good. I use Zoo Med Repti Bark (fir bark), but it's a bit pricey so I might switch to cypress mulch. Leave food out for it (dry dog food or reptile pellets) so it can eat whenever it needs to. BTS can go a while without eating since they are suck hardy creatures.
LittlePetDirt
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby LittlePetDirt » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:07 pm

It's really hard to tell the genders of a blue tongue skink unless you actually try to breed them or get them checked by a vet. Sometime soon the hips are wider on a female, but not always. The enclosure looks amazing! Keep up the good work! I use aspen for my northern and I find the humidity is usually on the high side for some reason. Hope this helped! :)
- Jaidyn :P

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”