ID help Please (pics)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueyBits
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

ID help Please (pics)

Postby BlueyBits » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:51 am

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and have been loving the opportunity to read through all topics. I just got my bts and am in love with he/she already. I bought him from a local family owned pet store and was told that he/she was an Irian Jaya. I believed them when they told me and started to read up more on the sub-species. However, after reading through this forum, I realized that it's quite possible that my new bts is not an irian Jaya and if not, I want to make sure I know so that I can make sure humidity and temperature is accurate for the little one.

He/she is incredibly sweet, pokes it's head out of hide to watch the room already and doesnt mind handling at all. Never hissed or bit and just has been an all around pleasure so I really want to make sure I get this right. Thanks for all your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlueyBits
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: ID help Please (pics)

Postby BlueyBits » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:36 am

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:58 pm

It indeed does look a lot like an IJ! You are so very lucky to have a beautiful and adorable little blue on your hands! And yes it would be very wise to check up on what humidity levels they need, I was told they need to 70-80% but I'm not 100% sure. Good luck!
BlueyBits
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueyBits » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:11 pm

BlueTongueBoris wrote:It indeed does look a lot like an IJ! You are so very lucky to have a beautiful and adorable little blue on your hands! And yes it would be very wise to check up on what humidity levels they need, I was told they need to 70-80% but I'm not 100% sure. Good luck!

Thanks for your response. I have been abiding by the IJ caresheet and humidity needs, but was unsure as I kept reading through other posts. I am very lucky. First time Bluey owner and seriously lucked out. Couldn't have asked for a better bluey!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am

Halmahera. Very high humidity, 80+ Most Gigas (Indonesian species) need high humidity, but the Halmahera Islands have humid conditions similar to that of the Florida Keys. Awesome pets if you can meet their requirements for humidity and avoid shedding issues. I kept a few of them a couple of years back and they were absolutely awesome. I find them to be the most beautiful of the Gigas.
BlueyBits
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueyBits » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

splashy07 wrote:Halmahera. Very high humidity, 80+ Most Gigas (Indonesian species) need high humidity, but the Halmahera Islands have humid conditions similar to that of the Florida Keys. Awesome pets if you can meet their requirements for humidity and avoid shedding issues. I kept a few of them a couple of years back and they were absolutely awesome. I find them to be the most beautiful of the Gigas.

Thanks Splashy07. I have cranked up the humidity level. I'm just having an issue with using the uv light and keeping the humidity high. It seems to be sucking out the humidity throughout the day, which now I know is dangerous for my bluey. Do you have any suggestions for heat and humidity consistency?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”