Rescue Baby Shedding Struggles

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueRow
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Rescue Baby Shedding Struggles

Postby BlueRow » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in a long time but could really use your advice right now. I have had my adult merauke Row and he/she is doing awesome. Healthy and sweet as can be with no issues.

Now about a month ago my boyfriend told me the scales n tails he works at was having a really hard time with a baby bts when it came to shedding. Naturally I fell for the little stinker and took him home as a rescue. Now he eats great but he does have severe shedding issues and looked like he had an underbite when I first brought him home. The problem areas of shedding are the feet of course, but the worst is his poor little face. The back of his lips won't shed on the top and collect his coco fiber substrate till its densedensely packed along his gum line. And his eyes will often shut completely and stay shut until lightly rubbed with water on a q-tip. Then he can open his pretty little eyes.

Now, he has already lost many toes sadly but I want to get his face issues fixed more than anything.

He is on a paper towel substrate for now so he doesn't pack his gums so bad and has a cocofiber/sphagnum moss humidity box. I also put the fogger on him for a minute or two twice a day. And it seemed to be helping, until a week or two ago when the issues came back. I want to also note he was seen by a vet before I brought him home and they prescribed ciprofloxacin hydrochloride eye drops to be given once a day till the issue clears. I cut back to once a week after his soaking when it seemed the issue resolved. His head scales also seem very dry.

If you all have any suggestions on how I can help him please feel free to share. I am willing to try just about anything to get him to be a happy healthy baby. I am also more than willing to answer any questions you have about him.

The first two pictures are from when I got him and the others are since he has been in my care:
20170714_163716.jpg

20170714_171748.jpg

20170716_141259.jpg

20170721_153631.jpg

20170809_134045.jpg

20170809_135649.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Row and Smar ~ Meruake
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Rescue Baby Shedding Struggles

Postby Janella » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Poor poor dear. Definitely increase the humidity as much as you can. Soaking will help also. I would recommend another vet visit to see if they can help. Some people swear by shed ease. I have personally never used it though. God luck!
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Try also misting its cage or soak him more often. If his condition doesn't improve take him to another vet and see what they say.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Yes, yes misting will help too.
BlueRow
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueRow » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 pm

Thank you both. I will certainly take your suggestions to heart! I checked in on him yesterday and turns out he was in shed! So I pulled him out and soaked him as well as helped pull the old scales off his back and face. Gently.

I do have a couple questions for you all though. How warm should the water be for him to soak in? And for how long should I let him soak?

Also how often should I soak him?

Thank you both again, so much!
Row and Smar ~ Meruake
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:49 pm

Hopefully if it is in shed, you won't need to help out to much. You can let them soak in a Luke warm bath for a good 20-30 minutes.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:52 pm

I forgot, as far as often, once or twice a week should be plenty. I have a Northern and a Merauke and have never had to soak either one. Both have had no shedding issues, thank goodness. Just make sure your temps, humidity, and substrate are all good and your skink should be just fine.
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:42 am

BlueRow wrote:Thank you both. I will certainly take your suggestions to heart! I checked in on him yesterday and turns out he was in shed! So I pulled him out and soaked him as well as helped pull the old scales off his back and face. Gently.

I do have a couple questions for you all though. How warm should the water be for him to soak in? And for how long should I let him soak?

Also how often should I soak him?

Thank you both again, so much!

Hey Man. On water temp, water that is too cold can cause issues, and hot water will make them grr. Do The Elbow test. Basically, stick your elbow in first and test if you'd but a baby in it. I've noted between my two girls, that my oldest likes a more cooler temp. My baby HATES bathes, I end up running two or three after she poops, but is a lot more relaxed in the warmer side.
BlueRow
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueRow » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:23 pm

BD99 wrote:Hey Man. On water temp, water that is too cold can cause issues, and hot water will make them grr. Do The Elbow test. Basically, stick your elbow in first and test if you'd but a baby in it. I've noted between my two girls, that my oldest likes a more cooler temp. My baby HATES bathes, I end up running two or three after she poops, but is a lot more relaxed in the warmer side.

I have noticed this baby prefers slightly warmer water or he will be in their wigging out. I try to do water colder than what I would want to bathe in but also not too lukewarm that it will get cold fast as I only do an inch or two of water on the deep end. So as the weather is cooling off my house gets colder and the water cools off faster. So still finding that happy medium.

Thank you for the advise on how to test it. Hopefully that will make it easier to determine if it's good or not.
Row and Smar ~ Meruake
BlueRow
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueRow » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Janella wrote:I forgot, as far as often, once or twice a week should be plenty. I have a Northern and a Merauke and have never had to soak either one. Both have had no shedding issues, thank goodness. Just make sure your temps, humidity, and substrate are all good and your skink should be just fine.

Janella,

Thank you. I soaked him today and spent a good 10-15 minutes helping pull shed skin off his toes. From the sound of it he has always had shedding issues.

Though I agree, my adult merauke has no shedding issues and I don't really have to soak her. She is a dream and does awesome when she sheds. This baby, not so much. And it's strage because their enclosures are not too different from each other.

I put him back on a coco fiber sphagnum moss substrate to keep his humidity up though and plan on misting the enclosure more to keep it moist. He had about 5 superworms and a couple baby roaches post harassing so he will not just associate me with medicating him. Now he is currently basking so hopefully he is feeling good.

Thank you again for all your advise.
Row and Smar ~ Meruake
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:45 pm

The water temp should be the same as the temp in the cage you removed him from so as not to shock him. If it's his body temp he will not freak out. One of my northerns has a shedding issue no matter what I do so I have to soak him for a bit. Just for his feet and tail, so I keep it shallow.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:47 pm

Your welcome. Isn't it amazing how they all can be so different. I am glad he is enjoying the soak and you were able to help him out with the stuck shed. Definitely watch those toes. That is always the worst part. I am sure he appreciates the yummy reward afterwards.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”